Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Site is up.... come check it out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bone85K5, Jun 10, 2000.

1. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Alright.... I wanted to get a lot more done to my site but I guess there is enough up there for some to enjoy. I have included many pics. The most recent are of hardtop removal and the rear deck lid (when the hard top is off) Lots more pics to come, have fun and sorry its still hard to look at and view.

www.benjaminbone.coloradok5.com

BBone 85'K5
    Wilderness Roof Rack in the winter, Skyler in the summer...

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>That's a cool site. How did you change the name of the pages?</font color=blue>

3. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

On your site bulider section, at the very bottom of the pages there should be some options where you change the format of your page (the background color), below that there should be a selection for title of pages...

BBone 85'K5

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Nice job on the site, very nice scenery! hehehe

Thanks for the info on the aerowing, I have mine installed and it is great, could not wait for it to rain so I could check it out, and now I can run with the rear window down and no more fumes! Thanks again man.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

5. kayak

kayak Registered Member

What is the size of your wilderness roof rack?
    H? X W? X L? Is it made by Garvin?
    How do the attachment mounts work? Thanks.

6. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

www.wildernessracks.com

Mine is 5 feet by 5 feet and 6 inches tall.
    It is made by Garvin.
    The attachment mounts work by basically installing a small portion of a rain gutter. You install four of these small rain gutter's around the hard top and a typical attachment is then mounted to the rain gutter. I think it works quite well. Mine hasnt fallen off, have had quite a weight on it too. You will need advice when you put it on also...

BBone 85'K5

7. kayak

kayak Registered Member

Thanks for info on roof rack. I'm thinking of installing one on my Suburban (see attached photo), I will need to mount it the same as yours, I think. If I understand Garvin has some "well nuts" that allows installation without having to pull down the interior?

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

9. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Very nice Sub, I really wanted one of those but my K5 just feel right in my lap so....
    I have very strong disliking to the welnuts that they use. In fact, I called them after I got them and said basically "are you kidding??? you want me to put a $300+ rack with lights, a jack and a spare tire (not to mention any other cargo) with these things???"
    They understood and basically siad that wellnut was for "average" use, mine being above average. Anyway, they suggested using the welnuts with longer bolts that did come through the top along with wachers and nuts on the inside. I told them that I just didnt think that the wellnuts alone would do the job for me. So they sent me (free) a variety of longer bolts and washers and nuts to play with. They also offered a plate of somekind to mount inside (2 bolts enter per "rain gutter mount")to strength the bolts.
    Anyway, after much thinking and looking and such I was going to use wellnuts AND longer bolts to go through AND washers and nuts (of course with a dag a silicon). The first mount with this set up was horrible, it wasnt very sturdy and the wellnut sucked. So continued with the bolt washer nut setup for the other 3 and it has held up fine.

So, not that any of this means crap to you since you have a headlinear, probobly a rear air thing and the fact that you said you didnt want to go all the way throught the roof.... I have no adivce but " go throught the roof" espically since your rack will be about 5x5x6 like mine or hopefully the big one 5x7x6 which is heaver, wider and stronger.

Sweeeet truck and any other info I d love to help out. Oh yeah I have stood on mine to load it and take pictures. i am 6'5 235 lbs, so it will hold the weight easily. (thats is with hi-lift and lights also)

BBone 85'K5

10. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Also what kind a spare tire mount is that and do youlike it? Is it strong enough etc? etc....

BBone 85'K5

11. kayak

kayak Registered Member

Here is a web site my son is working on (not complete yet) but it shows the "Safari Suburban" work in progress.
    www.suburbansafari.4mg.com
    The tire carrier was designed for the K5. The carrier is made by Valley Industries and was ordered through an after-market catalog at the local Chev dealer. It appears to be plenty strong enough (price $135.00). By the way, I'm looking for a bolt together roll cage to fit the front seat area, if you know of any info on that. Thanks for the roof rack advice. I'm looking at Con-ferr's unit also. Any experience you have heard about regarding their mounting system? How about the Surco brand? Urban Jungle also has a unit with mounting tracks, have you heard anthing on their unit? We kayak (sea kayak - Lake Superior). Until I got the Suburban, I've stacked three kayaks on the roof rack of my Jeep Cherokee. Looking to do the same on the Sub. Thanks for info, keep up the work on your web site. The roof rack photos give a good look at what I need to know.

12. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I could not that web site to load, but computer is very old.
    Does the tire carrier only take up the pass. side of the truck? Or does it stretch across say to the middle tailgate area where the window can be let down? Ive seen some like yours and I think I have seen some that stretch further across the gate..roll cage....http://www.artmorrison.com/ They have a good selection, click on roll cages...

I reasearched all roof racks prety good b4 i bought mine. I also bought one for my gf's 4dr Tahoe. Needless to say, I think I have done my hw on roof racks. I simply decided on wilderness for a couple of reasons. First they have by far the most accesories. They sell plenty, but when you consider that you can mount a Thule or Yamakia crossbar system to any rack then you deff. have it all (including canoe or sking or anything those guys have) Really, you could get the cross bars in any length and have a bunch of bikes, canoes or anything. Wasnt really to impressed with the other brands, havent heard of the mounting tracks either.... also, if you get some brochures form Wilderness, you will see every size rack they sell for all other trucks, our year Blazer/Sub/Jimmy are some of the widest and longest, except for Vans and FJ-55,60,62 series. The big one for your Sub is longer than Exsursion, all but a few vans and even new Subs.

BBone 85'K5

13. kayak

kayak Registered Member

Not sure why the site didn't load. Will your computer open a jpeg file? I will try to send photos of tire carrier another way. I will also try your email address. Check attached image it should load.

14. kayak

kayak Registered Member

When you install this unit, there are backing plates that you install by taking out the tailight unit and reaching up inside to hold the backing plate in place. Had to rework the top right bracket to fit Suburban because the body shape differs from the Blazer at that location. See attached photo.

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Kayak! where did you get it

Hay where did you get that snorkle?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! How much did it go for?
    Great looking sub BTW. I Have one of the Vally carriers on my 79 K5 but mine is the large one that also hase a mount for a Jerry can. Works ok but the latch is garbage! The 79 has been taken over by my wife and she can't handle the carrier very well (she's Tiny). I'll be pulling it off and fabricating a bumper mount that can be operated one handed soon to make her happy when I re do her truck. It's also getting a 80's clip and a Phantom grill. Looking for seats out of a 90's something. Hoping my Aunt can score me some seats from the GM design studio from a 4 door extended. She does the sewing for them.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

16. kayak

kayak Registered Member

17. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Cool site...like the lights on your k5

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nice site kayak! thanks for the tip on the Snorkle. There are a great many of us who have wanted one. I have found on my 79 the stock set up into the Grill is not the best. I have found chunks of mud 1/2 inch in diameter on the filter. Sort of a hassle to take that hose loose then re install it. I now wheel a 75 and it's just sucking hot air from under the hood and I need to get it some clean cool air. I think I will be contacting the cruiser people this week.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

19. kayak

kayak Registered Member

Tip on installing snorkle: Mount it about 1 inch higher on the fender than I did so that it leans closer to the windshield pilar. I had to fabricate a bracket connector for the top. P.S. I Drove it approx. 1000 highway miles last week and there is no wind noise. I averaged 14.8 mpg - not bad considering 70 + mph. On the freeway.