Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Site Speed - Vendors please read

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Feb 21, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I now know why the forums are so slow, can't believe I didn't realize it sooner, anyway I might be able to do a work around but in the long run it would be bandaided, so the best thing to do is spawn off the forums to a new server, it's own server, I will keep you all posted.
    I don't want to get into the details but it has to do with the moving of my database server on the host side, but this problem will end up being better and faster in the long run, in fact I may use this time to move away from the current pearl scripts to new faster PHP scripts and bring back the picture upload option.
    The forums will look the same just much much faster, I think this is just another step in growing with the traffic of this site which is currently at over 600,000 page views per month, our next goal is to have over 1 million page views per month, it will happen.
    To get a new faster server with the proper bandwidth it will cost money, what doesn't these days right, I would like to offer a vendor/vendors the opportunity to sponsor the new forum server, I would put a small banner at the top of every forum page that states CK5 forums brought to you by "xyz parts" this would mean awesome exposure for your company or service. If you are a vendor and interested in helping CK5 grow while receiving targeted traffic, please email me at info@coloradok5.com

Thank You

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Why not a donation from the CK5 members? This way we all know that THIS SITE BELONGS TO THE MEMBERS and that we paid for it!! Others can join to view the site, but wouldnt that little bit of money make you feel proud to help out?? Come on guys, lets help Steve out!! Think about how much he could rack up from almost 2000 members!!!!! Enough to get bigger, faster servers and this would make everybody REAL happy!!! Just my .02.

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Great idea K30. I'm in!
    And if Sullibuilt Armor ever takes off, I'm in for the banner too.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

4. kenbrown

kenbrown Registered Member

hey im up for helping steve out somehow.. this site kicks @$$!!!!!! i check it out every day.

Ken Brown

k5redrocker@yahoo.com

5. dewey

dewey Registered Member

where do we send the checks steve?

6. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I would make a donation, I visit this site on a regular basis..
    I believe in taking care of those who take care of you...
    Thanks Steve and let me know

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure of all the costs involed here and what not, think members could help some. I would be a go as well... heck with the helpful info I'm finding out here on lifts I'm saving money by doing it right the first time.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

8. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

That worked when we donated to upgrade the software to this message forum, unfortunately I don't think it would help Steve now because he will have reoccuring costs each month to run a dedicated server. A good dedicated server will run between $350 and $500 per month. That doesn't include bandwidth overlimit fees and or transfer rate overlimit fees. Steve needs advertising dollars coming in every month or a donation (user fee) every month to upgrade.

Just my $.02
    David 75K5
    http://www.extremeblazer.com

[​IMG]

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would not have a problem throwing something in the basket. I live in this site! might as well pay rent! I am not sure what you classify as a "vender", But I seem to sell alot of parts here and could always use more exposure.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Come on guys, think about what Gold Rush is saying. Think about this....if all of us chipped in $5.00 right now and Steve gets about 500 members to chip in now, that amounts to $2,500.00 which would be good for 5 months of server use. Come on, lets ride Steves ass for donation time!!

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

How about a buck a month for all members. I think everyone could afford 12 bucks a year. At 2000 members that would be 24,000 a year and that should be enough to run it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Happy Trails
    Wayne

12. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I'll send in 20 bones a year. Sounds good to me. Its that the going rpice for anything? 19.95?????

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/4.10's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

13. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I'm in. Just let me know where it needs to go and how much.(within reason)[​IMG]

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

14. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Sure I can throw some cash in your pot. If we give $50 if there a complimentary lap dance or something? Kidding.....Kidding...or maaaaaaybe not. Honestly I would pay to see this site get bigger. There is nothing here but great folks helping each other out.

[​IMG]

15. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> what do you say, Steve ? Have you put any thought into this idea ? It sounds like the community would help you out........ don't be shy .</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

16. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thank's guys, I am still in research mode, Goldrush kind of hit it on the head though, it would be a reocuring monthly bill, that is why I think a vendor sponsor would be best. I don't think I can, well I know I can not afford a truly dedicated server (500.00 a month) I was thinking about just a new URL (I could even use myk5.com that I have reserved) or something like coloradok5forums.com and put the forums over there to keep things simple yet fast. This is something that many sites do to keep dependancies (sp) down, that way if the main server (coloradok5.com) should go down the forums would still be up or vice versa.
    Let me do some more digging to find out what my options are, I just emailed my host about the problem as well, we will get it sorted out some how. The problem with donations is I would have to have a CK5 telethon every month to raise money and that would turn into a nightmare I think, I have another idea as far as that goes, but I will wait until this situation gets resolved. If you work for a major parts company or even GM let them know about this site, and how it could help advertise their company, it has tons of potential.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you're going to change URL's, it may be better to get rid of the Colorado word. I personally have no problem with it, but it may make this seem like a regional site to outsiders. This site needs a name that helps to classify it at the universal K5 Blazer/Jimmy site.

<font color=blue>"We have to take seriously the role in this problem of older men who prey on underage women..." Bill Clinton, 1996.</font color=blue>

18. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Count me in. However, I just wanted to offer you guys a little tip I have been using to help w/the site speed. Instead of left clicking on a topic, right click on it and chose "open in new window". Then that way you don't have to wait for your computer to load and reload pages. It sounds simple enough, but maybe not everyone knows this.