Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sitting diesel??????////

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by darkshadow, Apr 11, 2005.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Ok here is the scoop, i have seen this burb and it is rusted to ****, but the front clip is ok and i showed it to a buddy who wants the clip and he was asking about buying it.

i took a look at it and its body is gone its realyl bad even for up here, but it is diesel and i have been considering a 6.2 lately.

the guy (not the owner just a renter) swore that it ran like a top but since the body was **** the owner just parked it, but he would have put it on the steet if not for the god forsakin body.

i think if i buy it i could part a few things but was thinking about the moter.

How bad is it for a diesel to sit so long, (read a few years)

it has moved a little aroung the farm, from over there one year to over here.

is the moter beond hope is is it a safeish bet?

How much/what is involved with injector rebuilds?

If i were to test it and get them to start it should i get the oil running first?
    likr trying to disable the ignition and just cranking it then firing it?

thanks diesel gods dave :bow:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It 'should' be OK. The fuel should also be OK because diesel doesn't gum up like gasoline does.

I'd make sure the batteries were fully charged and that the glow plugs worked, then try and fire it up.

If it does need injectors rebuilt you can get them pretty cheap through www.accuratediesel.com

Last i heard from another member was that he doesn't rebuild the 6.2 pumps anymore, but will sell you the parts to rebuild it yourself. IIRC that was about $60 or so.

Rene

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Tim at accuratediesel.com is rebuilding my pump even as we speak (or rather, as I type this!). He's also selling me new injectors.

He's updating my pump to 4911 specs, and I'm upgrading to 6.5L turbo injectors.

Nobody can beat his prices, and I haven't heard anything but good reports about his work.

Casey

4. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

My blazer sat for two or more years and all i had to do was put new batts. in it and it fired right up!

5. tRustyK5

That's cool, but makes me wonder why he'd build you one but tell another member here he doesn't do 6.2 pumps anymore :confused:

I am still very pleased with the pump rebuild as well as the injectors rebuilds on my truck. The price was ridiculously low too. IIRC including shipping I paid $347 US. For comparison I got a price from BD power (they're local to me here) and they wanted $900 cdn just for the pump rebuild. Add injectors and the bill would have been near $1500...

I like supporting the local economy, but not at 4X the price.

Rene

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine sat a long time...

The 6.2 in my 82 K20 was sitting in a junkyard,probably for at least a year before the previous owner bought it--then it sat in the bed of the truck awaiting installation for several more months--then they installed it and could not start it--so they got pissed and sold it to my used car dealer friend--who called me and said"hey,Bob--got a good truck for ya!"-

-After I got some help from tRusty and a few others here,I got it running--and have never regretted buying the truck,despite all the "naysayers" who said deisels stink,are slugs,have no resale value,the 6.2 is junk,they blow up easy,etc----(all true!,except the "blows up easy part!--but it does not bother me!--just means more of them for me to buy cheap!-and with the price of diesel fuel,I bet it will only be easier to find more older diesel trucks around cheap.)

I'd have been SCREWED this winter without my diesel!--we had over 9 feet of snow--my truck plowed my driveway 25 times since november,with mickey moused rubber hose on my tranny lines,etc--the 6.2 plows like a front end loader compared to my 400SB in the other truck--it started all winter with out being "plugged in" despite a few -10 degree days,and NOTHING broke at all on it,despite all the heavy abuse from plowing!...A first for me! :laugh:

But now it appears it will be sitting again--the price of fuel is prohibiting me from using it,unless its to make money...I wonder how long it takes before bacteria grows in my diesel fuel?? :frown1:

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

could/should I squirt some oil in the cyls or something to be safe or??

8. tRustyK5

No, don't squirt oil in any holes. A diesel is a compression ignition engine that burns a close relative to oil. The oil you squirt in could ignite in several cylinders and cause damage.

Rene

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

so the best bet is some fresh fule and crank her?

yeah i wasent to sure on the oil, or how to get it in. So i wont do that.

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I'd also suggest changing the engine oil and filter if it needs it (more than 3000 miles or 3 months old).

11. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I have squirted Kroil penatrating oil in a frozen up motor before and let it sit for a few days. The oil broke up enough rust to turn the engine over by hand. I dont think you would have any problems squirting some wd40 or similar oil through the glow plug or injector holes and turning it buy hand with the glow plugs pulled there wont be any compression and it will turn easily. I would do that and and pull the vacum pump and use a pre-oiler to get the oil moving before start up. But as others have mentioned they have started engines that have been sitting awhile with no problems.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you meen to change it first? befor a test start? i would most deffanatly be changeing it if i swaped it.

and if this thing is sezed or stuch i dont want it, i want it mostly because the guy *said* it ran great, i dont want a builder right now. the truch is useless to me if it isent running ok.

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

My 86 C10 hasnt moved move then 10 feet out of its stall in our barn since late 2001, it sat until last year without being started, ive been starting it at least once a month the last year and letting it warm up etc. I really need to change the oil though

14. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    How does one tell if injectors on an ('86) need changing? Injector Pump? 158k Has Gale Banks Turbo

15. tRustyK5

My injectors leaked, and the truck smoked like a train. With 220,000 on it i figured a rebuilt pump and injectors couldn't be a bad idea...

Rene

16. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    How much blowby (from oil fill) is "normal" on my just aquired '86 Banks 'burb. Whoa baby- does she smoke under power, But power is awesome. Easily spins 31 inchers. Chirps into second gear!!!!!!! :D with G80 posi!

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Under power the black smoke is fuel, not oil. It's a normal thing for a diesel.