Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Situation I came across the other day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Apr 11, 2007.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So I step in to my local restaurant (I'll not name it, but they have served "over 1 billion") and get in line. In front of me is an elderly gentleman, and behind me is a Marine in BDU's. I'm standing there in a pair of jeans, my Fire Dept. t-shirt, and my radio on my side.

The elderly gentleman places his order and pays for his food, receiving no discount.

I place my order and whip out my debit card, preparing to pay full price for my food. The lady looks at my shirt and listens to the traffic on the radio. She calls out to her manager and asks if I get a discount. Her manager says yes. Before I can swipe it, the lady at the register hands me a receipt. I look at it and under amount owed it said, $0.00. I looked up at her and gave her my typical confused look. She said that as a firefighter, I get my meals free. I just stood there for a few seconds until it sank in my head that I just made out like a bandit.

The Marine steps up, places his order, and proceeds to pay full price for his meal.

I just stood there in disbelief. Actually, I was more embarassed than anything. Why did the post-productive member of society and the serviceman both pay full price for their meals, while I, the volunteer tax money sponge, eat for free? Are they not more qualified for a free meal or a discount than I?

To all the elderly, thanks for all of the good info you have given over the years and for molding me into the person I am today! To all of the armed forces, thanks for providing the freedom for me to be the person I am today!

2. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Happens to us when we are doing search and rescue in rural areas quite often - the local folks are gratefull we drive out and give our time and we get meals and coffee gratis.

I would have paid for the Marine's meal instead - unless he was one of those BIG marines:crazy:

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

That's ****ty.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You didn't know that????????????

Around here, all McDonald's gives LEO's the 100% discount. Funny thing is the only ones that go in on a semi-regular basis is the state troopers. I can count on one hand how many times I've ate at the local place...............

5. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Taco bell is stupid...

6. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Call the management and complain. Talk about bad press they don't want.

It's one of those sad things today that people pay lip service about respecting people/things/etc but then look right past military members and seniors...seen it before.

Wait, the Marine was walking around in his cammies/digis? When did that get allowed?

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I dunno about the Marines, but Air Force personnel are allowed to eat at "over the head menu" restaurants in BDU's. Sit-down restaurants is blues only. How do you think we go out for lunch when we don't bring one with? :)

8. AJMBLAZER

I got out in '01 and the rules for cammis (I guess digis now) were basically at work only and on the way to and from home. Stop at the gas station on the way home, sure. Grocery store...no. Restaurants were a definate no.
    Hell, I stopped to pick my mail up one time and got an @ss chewing.

Anything else, put on civies.

Different rules applied for dress uniforms but I hated wearing those so I never bothered.

Sure this guy wasn't Army? They seem to be able wear their cammies everywhere. Didn't have a beret, did he?:rolleyes:

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have no problem with old people not getting any kind of discount. Age isn't synonymous with virtue. There are old people who are terrorists, theifs, murderers, politicians and lawyers. Giving all old people a discount simply because they are old is nothing more than age discrimination. Why should comfortably retired guy get his meal for $5, and struggling young worker guy (like myself) have to pay $10?

As far as the firefighter vs Marine... I have no problem if a restraunt wants to give either one a discount. If it was me, I'd think that the Marine would get it (if only one was going to)... but thats just me.

j

10. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's all about image, perception, and corporate policy.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

pretty much the same reason black people couldn't get served in some restraunts back in the day...

j

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I guess it was a Marine, but could have been Army. It was a digital camo pattern BDU. I didn't get a chance to check the patches, but he was definitely a soldier. I see a lot of them in BDU's at work buying motorcycles or four wheelers.

13. AJMBLAZER

I'm saying Army...

...the Marines invented the digis and then the Army wanted to be cool too and got their own slightly different version. Last I knew walking around in BDU's was a big no-no for the Marines so Army gets my vote.

He shoulda gotten a free meal at any rate.

14. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

This thread just gave me the craziest deja-vu of my life.

I'da bought the Marine/Soldier's lunch.

15. blasphemous

blasphemous 1/2 ton status

I got out in '03 (in the middle of the digi-gay camo change) and BDU's were not allowed out in public then either. For the record, I AM NOT a fan of the digital BDU's.

16. AJMBLAZER

Eh, I kinda dig them but I've only seen knock offs in army-navy stores in person. Well, and on the army recruiter walking around in the mall.:rolleyes: I've still got my cammies hanging in the closet with the rest of my deuce gear.

17. blasphemous

blasphemous 1/2 ton status

You sound like me w/ the gear. I had pretty much my entire supply issue when I checked out.

18. AJMBLAZER

Nobody asked for it back...so I didn't volunteer it.

Never know when a flak jacket and kevlar is going to come in handy.

19. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Local LEO, local store, keeping it in the local family. Digis don't mean active duty. Local A/N Surplus has all of that stuff. If the old man was a LEO earlier in his life, he got the discount also. If the "soldier" does it later, he will get the discount. Certain places give the elderly a discount, and they know it. His choice, his price.
    Don't let it bother you.

I was getting a movie ticket once behind a young guy. I had heard him talking earlier with his friends about being overseas in the Armed Forces, and I thought it was legit. When he went to buy his ticket he got carded and they wouldn't accept his military ID as proving he was over 17. DUH!!! I bought an extra ticket for him and his GF and walked up to him, still outside, and handed him the tickets and said thanks and walked away.

If I think it is not right, I will try to make it right, if I have a mind to do so.

20. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Wow.... you have to be 17 to enlist. And to top it off, it's a federal issue ID card. I could maybe understand if it was the old green ones, those are easy to get fakes for, but if it was a white one there was just some real winners working there.