Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Size of the Driveshaft Yoke Nut ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Overdrive, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

I picked-up the CV joint enabled rear driveshaft for my 77' yesterday. It requires a change-out of the transfercase output yoke. Does anyone know the size of that nut on a 203? A 1-1/4 socket is too small and a 1-1/2 socket is too big!

By the way, has anyone ever removed and reinstalled the rear pinion yoke on a 203? Any problems with the endplay? I don't have a dial gague to check for the .005 max endplay on the thing!

Thanks for any info.

PS Damn! It's killing me to see that pretty new driveshaft sitting on the floor of the garage!!!

Overdrive

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

It is a 1 5/16 nut. Dont get an impact socket or it will not fit down in the hole. I had to use a big end wrench with some grinding around the outside of it to get up in the hole. As far as the .005 endplay. A standard sheet of loose leaf paper is .004 thick so the endplay they talk about is very small. If you push and pull on it and can detect any movement you will have that much endplay.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

1 5/16", removed and replaced it several times. Just torque the nut to spec. When you remove the old yoke, check to see if there are any washers on the end of it and reinstall them. Usually they stay on the shaft. There is a series of washers that are there that determine endplay. After torque is set on the nut, you should be able to feel a very minute amount of in/out movement. I just put a part time conversion shaft in mine and checked it with a dial indicator and it went back together with the same end play as it was before I took it apart. Still within spec.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

What if your end-play is too much?
    When I put on my 1350 rear output yoke on my NP205, I didn't have any washers when I put the old yoke, so I didn't put any on. Ican move the thing back and forth quite a bit more than 0.005"
    Is this going to cause damage? Should I go out and get some big washers for it?
    As I remember, I torqued it to about 150 ft-lbs.
    This would be pretty easy for m to fix right noiw because I have the driveshafts out and no bed on my truck, so the output yoke is like RIGHT THERE and i can get to it easily with my impact :)
    To the original poster - the nut is 1 5/16". Do NOT use an imopact socket - the socket wall is too thick and will NOT fit inside the 1310 yoke. You need to find a thin-wall 1 5/16".
    -- Mike

BTW, I know this is a dumb question, but what size washers fit the yoke? The 1 5/16" ones? Just wondering.
    Thanks

5. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys. I will write that number down in my Haynes manual!