Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

size of wheels

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 28, 2001.

what are the biggest tires i can put on a 71 chevy k5 blazer 4x4 with a 2 in factory lift, without rubbing. it has 31x10.5 on 15x8 rims on it now. and if i go bigger does that improve my gas mileage?

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Don't know about the lift question, but putting on bigger tires will hurt your gas mileage, unless you change the gears.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. The gas mileage question all depends on how and where you drive. If you only drive on the highway, you may see slight increases in gas mileage (maybe 1-2 mpg). If you do any city driving, you will lose mileage. I don't recommend bigger tires for improving gas mileage. I have 33x12.50 BFG A/T on my '87 K5 with the same setup, and they only rub when totally flexed out on an RTI ramp without the swaybar. So I would recommend going to larger tires, but not for the gas mileage :).

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Best thing to do is measure it up with what you have. I know a 2" TCI lift on the early K5's will clear 32's and work really well.
    The milage thing is right on, it may drop RPM's on the highway, and that could help, but it's harder to get it rolling so it'll use more on stop and go stuff. Even if you change the gearing, the net effect is less milage due to increased ride height, tire width, etc. But you probably won't notice the difference going from 31's to 32's.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD