Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sizing rings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Mar 23, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok guys...

here's the quesiton - when I size the rings do I size the rings in the cyl. they are going on, or can I size all the rings in one cyl.?

when I get done is there anything I need to be careful of so I don't break them when putting them on the piston?

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Are the rings you are using file-fit rings?

Theoretically, all the bores should be the same diameter so it would be okay to use one cylinder. You've got it apart though, so you may as well use each individual cylinder.

Remember to file in towards the center of the ring, and make certain that the rings are square in the bore while you are measuring the gap.

A set of ring expanding pliers is virtually a must when putting the rings on the pistons.

A light chamfer of the bores will guard against ring damage when putting the pistons in. Make sure you cover those rod bolts too so you don't damage the threads or the crank throws.

3. solowookie

when I go to file the rings can I put them in a vice? I'm kind of worried about scaring them? how do you usually hold the rings?

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Put them in a vice with a rag wrapped around them. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

You should put the file in the vise & push the ring across the file to prevent ring damage. Due to the price of good rings, it is advisable to buy a ring filer to prevent damage (probable with the vise method). A ring set for 1 cylinder is usually special order & approx $30 & up so a $75 ring filer is not that unreasonable & you will still have it when you are finished. The file/vise method is crude at best & is hard to keep the end gap parallel.
    Lonnie

6. solowookie

appreciate the info... actually I sized these yesterday, and I didn't have to resize any so I got lucky, but I was still curious in case I needed to file any.