Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skate ramp plans?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, May 7, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Anyone have any of these? My son wants me to build him a small halfpipe. It would beat driving 40 miles rountrip on the weekends..eventually

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

:) im sure oaul (ryoken) can chime in oin this one

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I found a few places that offer the plans online. Has anyone ever used them? Wondering if their construction techiques will make a sturdy ramp or halfpipe :dunno:

5. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

you can always add more supports and bracing where needed

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It ain't rocket science. We built a 12 foot wide prolly somethin like 16 foot long with ten foot on one side and eight on the other when I was 14. I mean we as my friends sat around alot and watched and I built it. Lasted for something like 4 years before we tore it down.

Put a little thought into it and you'll be fine. Don't think you have to pay for plans.

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hey man, launch ramps are easy to do,,, i used to launch off them suckers, do a backside grab, with my what would be considered a "longboard" by todays standards. :D

I used to have a 2ft high little half pipe in my living room when i was 15 or so lol . Just like Ricky windsor lol :)

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I would build a non vert ramp too BTW,,,mabey a little 5 footer that dosent go to vert. We used to do the String trick for the radius part,,, just make sure your lines are smooth. Do the lip with 2" iron pipe :D

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

don't have any actually plans, but i could dig some up for ya if need be.. i've built dozens.. pretty simple stuff.. beef is good.. they take a pounding.. especially with my fatass skatin em!! ;) :ignore: :rotfl: :whistle:

how much are you willing to spend?

your gonna have trouble down your way with weather, rain and humidity are a ramps worst enemies..

skatelite is unbeatable for rainy areas..its impervious.. forget masonite.. treated ply will need a new layer every couple years..

theres many tranny configurations to consider depending on ability and desires of the skater too.. for a milder, beginner orientated mini, 5' of height with a 7' or 8' vertical transition is pretty good... keep in mind, the more transition, the easier it is to fall safely. in other words, a lower ramp with quicker transition means your eating flatbottom alot, as opposed to sliding down the transition, ala my headwound awhile back...

ramps can take up alot of square footage.. 16' wide is about the minimum you should consider for safety reasons. 24' is sweeeet! not to say i haven't skated scary indoor 12'ers, but i don't reccomend it..

also, your gonna want a minimum of 8' of flatbottom, with 12' or 16' being preferable..

sheesh, i could go on forever on this stuff.. :o anything i can help ya with, shoot me a pm..

i had 2 vert ramps at my houses.. the first was a 12' wide and rickety, built when i was 13! wait, i got a pic.. heres my bud Evan bailing on a backside ollie..
    [​IMG]

i'll have to dig up a pic of the second.. sweet. 20' wide, 11' high foot of vert.. pool coping on one side, iron pipe on the other..

heres me with a frontside lein air on a nice mini my bud had.. 6' high with 7' trannys.. 24' wide..
    [​IMG]

or, you could always build em this.... ;)
    [​IMG]

or this...
    [​IMG]

ok, i'll stop now.... :o :p: :rotfl: