Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

skeered to drive my truck!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Just4Fun, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Just4Fun

Just4Fun Registered Member

ok heres the skinny. I picked up some new wheels as pictured below. Guy said he bought them new and they are eagle alloy 058 or similar series. They are 15 x 10 and 6 on 5.5

I have an 86 gmc k1500 shortbed with gm 10 bolts front and rear I'm hoping I can mount them on but what's got me stumped is it appears the lug nuts dont seem to go on far enough... They call for acorn lug nuts according to their website and I have a 7/16-20 stock stud. How far is the lugnut supposed to screw on and be considered safe? Is acorn lugnut the same as conical? They seem to be going on about 1/2" - is this ok? I might just be a worry wart but the store said they didnt have any longer studs than stock.

I also have another question about the studs. I had 4 studs break on me when I removed the old wheel. Could this have been caused by someone using an impact wrench on the lugnuts or just cheap studs from the auto parts store. They were fairly new and not rusty since I replaced them less than a year ago when I got new brake rotors. Are all grade 8 studs considered equal?

I bought some replacement lug nuts to replace the ones I lost and when I tried to tighten them down with my crossbar 3 of the 5 replacements just stripped out without much effort - They were 7/16-20 same as the stud - could this be cheap advance auto store nuts or am I doing something wrong?? They spun on quite easy till about 3 or 4 threads then had to be "helped" on the rest of the way... I knew something was funny about these things! What is the recommended torque for these?

Anyway I closed up shop for the night and the whole deal got me kinda nervous as I feel like I might have made a bobo... I'll be up for round 2 tomorrow though! Jeez I can't put on a lugnut maybe I should just give up now before I really hurt myself! Nevermind thats just the sleep talking

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

eagles_058_2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  2. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I heard aluminum wheels sometimes needed longer studs.

Also, make sure you press the new studs in using a press and don't pull them in using the lug nut and a wrench. I heard that how lots of them break.

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

The lugs and/or the studs could be from the far East if they're not from GM. They may use the right grade alloy, but they might also cut the threads instead of rolling (studs). We've found this on certified industrial threaded equipment. Also the head marking on the stud might not be exactly industry standard but a cheap sort-of copy.:D
    Maybe try the junkyard?

4. Just4Fun

Just4Fun Registered Member

few wacks with the hammer and they were fully seated. I've pulled them in with an impact before but most of the time they will just free spin and you'll wind up needing another stud..

Looks like I just got some duds - I went for some more replacements and we're all locked down now! AINT SKEERED! I was just too sleepy yesterday to trust my own work I guess

Still wondering about those studs though as to why 4 new ones would just snap like that. They loosened up like normal, kept going a turn or two and then got real tight again and snapped.. Only thing I can think is that impact stretched em out somehow up at a cheap tire shop I shouldn't have gone to.

Not only that but almost immediately after they changed out my wheels I got 2 flat tires on less than a year old set. then the studs break off when I have to change those flats... I guess it's all coming clear to me now! HAH bastages I oughta drive my truck through their ol run down garage but then they'd just open shop somewhere else and I'd need another truck

5. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

If you're still worried about the lugs get 'em for a dually, they are longer.