Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skid plates

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Feb 28, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Anyone know where to get some? I can't find them...well I can find pro comp ones which are for 88 and up (I have a 86). States for a procomp lift too. I don't think it would matter what brand lift ya got right? But thought I would ask to be safe anyhow. Besides they seem a bit pricy if they do make em for my year. Thanks!

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

2. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

Didn't you say that you had a friend that could weld? If so, he or she should also be able to cut with a torch! you could buy some plate and make your own! Just a thought!

baldbandit

My site is still under construction!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com>http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com</A>

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

If I were you, I would go get some steel and have someone local cut and weld. It will be a better deal in the long run. I have a friend here who has the ProComp one, and it is really for looks and not stoping a tree from ridin up into the engine or steering linkage. Check for steering linkage rub during off camber and full turns before permanent mount. If you are look enough, you can probably find someone who has the steel to give away. I am assuming you are talking about a skid plate that goes from bumper on down to front of axle. You will have to have it mounted at bumper and fabricate posts coming off the fram downward. I would even put a triangle in that design to give it strengt to resist impacts. As far as transfer skidplate, as long as your cross member is good, I have never had a problem or seen one. Something I did for the rear 14 bolt on my sub was weld a skid plate that kept mud from cakin around yokes/ u-joints. This was cheap, no cost for steel, and I used MIG. Not the strongest, but does the job of keepin the mud out while pushin through the mud. Let me know if what you come up with. I love to weld anything, and I am always buildin something for the trucks. Now all I have to do, is learn how to scan pictures and email examples of the stuff I have made. Until then, hope this was useful info.

Joel

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

my 85 came w/ skid plates. im not sure if they are stock or not.
    if they are, find a blazer in the junk yard and take em off.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

5. ChevyCaGal

I do have a friend that welds but he is sick of me! I am always bugging him and he said to stop for now. He has a J**p and took the body off to weld the frame since he rolled it (he's in this idiot group that rolls them to get in). I looked at the garage and I think he may be a while now that he's really into it. As for me doing it...I don't have a welder...and me with hot fire...ha yeah that'd be really a bad idea! But hey maybe it's time I learn. I just don't have a clue where to start is all in what to buy and look for. Money is a factor too since I don't exactly rake it in....but if I did do it I think I could be creative and make something that would work. Or keep trying until I did!... :-)

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Since you listed your blazer as an 86, and, you did not say which skid plate you wanted. Did you want it for the front or rear axles, or just the transfer case? If you want the skid plate for the t-case, you are in luck! I have one BRAND NEW! No, not used or painted, BRAND SPANKING NEW. I ordered it from GM. You could do the same. Your 86 will only fit the 85 and 86 crossmembers. 84 and older are flat. 87 and newer are, well, hard to describe, different than 86. Let me know if you want a t-case skid plate. I can give you a part no. to get one from the dealer or I can sell you one.

7. ChevyCaGal

I was thinking for the T-Case and front axle....maybe even the rear axle if that isn't over kill. But yeah I do want the part number...what was the cost on it too? Thanks! :-)

8. thatK30guy

Off Road Unlimited makes the truss/skid plate types you are needing for the front and rear axles. Each one goes, I think, for about 125.00.
    Go Rhino! is another axle truss/skid plate manufacturer. Theirs are little different, though. Those are BIG and reduce ground clearance. Run about 250.00 each.
    The t-case skid plate for the 85 & 86 is #15595210. Just go to any GM dealer and tell them your year of ride, and the NY 7 code. This is the factory sticker option number. This NY 7 is the code for the t-case sheild. Tell them the part no. and it should cost about 15.00. I paid 12.00 for mine since I am valued customer.

9. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

K30guy,
    About the 15595210....is this the same transfer case skid pan for the K10/20's? I called the local dealer about a month ago for a pan for my 86 K10- NLA. I called the dealer the next day about a pan for an 87 Sub- NLA also. (I temporarily installed a buddies 87 pan w/ small mods) The quoted price was like $37, but no one has one in the St. Louis area. Thanks.

10. thatK30guy

Yeah, the plate fits the K10, 20 and 30 of the 85 and 86 years. The 87 to 91 plates are different. Cant explain it. The 87 WILL NOT work on an 86 or 85 and vice versa. Yeah, the 37.00 price for the 87 to 91 sounds correct since I paid 39.00 brand new for one. Those 85 and 86 plates only ran me 12.00. Thats surprising the dealer says NLA. If you want, I can go check it out at my dealer and get you one. Let me know.

11. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Hey K30Guy, I checked the dealer on Sat and they say the 15595210 is NLA. Dammit. If you get a chance, could you check the dealers in your area. I made my buddies 87 pan work by shimming the pan on one side with spacers- about 3/4" I think. Worked out surprisingly well but he does want it back.....go figure. Do you have an extra 86 pan and/or the 87 pan?.........if ChevCaGal has already found her's of course.
    Send me a private if you get a chance. Thanks. todd