Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

skid plates

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83bowtyblazer, Sep 4, 2001.

1. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a company the sell skid plates for blazers?

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

What kind of skid plate are you after?

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Re: skid plates *DELETED*

Post deleted by 85m1009

4. 83bowtyblazer

Looking for a skid plate for the front diff. One that goes from the bumper to the axle...or something close. Hey, is that your big yellow blazer in the Sep issue of 4 wheeler??

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Yes it is my truck. I also own Missouri Offroad Outfitters check out my site <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>
    I build over the top rear axle trussess and heavy duty diff covers. I can reinforce stock front covers like I have mine to eliminate the need for a skid plate. I am also building a bolt on truss for the front that does not take away ground clearance. Let me know if you are interested.

6. 83bowtyblazer

Man you got a bad ass truck. Are you talking about the metal re-inforcement strip you have on the front diff??? I have another question for you. I noticed you have an np-203/205. What exactly is that?? Is your shift pattern go from 4lo being all the way forward to 2 hi all the way back?? If so, did you have to cut out a slot in you tranny tunnel?? I have a friend who can't catch 4-hi. Is it normal for the t-case to make a grinding noise when engaged in 4-low?? He's got a 205 also. Thanks for all your help. Hope I didn't bombard you eith too many questions. Ryan

7. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Yes that is a solid piece of bar stock attached at the pumpkin with a plate sandwiched between the cover and the diff. The version I am making to sell will attach the the outer ends of the housing and another support in the middle. the whole thing will be completely bolt on.

My transfer case is an Offroad Design Doubler setup. I have a standard 205 behind the 203 range box. I have two shifters one for each. Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a> for more info.

If you swapped a 205 into a truck you might have to open up the tunnel to allow it to go into 4 hi, which is all the way to the rear. Being all gear driven transfer case the 205 does growl a little but it shouldn't be very noticeable. You might want to check the gear oil level and make sure it is 80/90 weight. I had a 1980 205 that had transmission fluid in it when I got it. The noise about drove me out of the truck. The shifter linkage also rattles when it gets worn.

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Great stuff Steve.
    Someday soon I'll give you a call with a list.

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

9. 83bowtyblazer

Thanks for all your help Steve. That T-case does have regular ATF fluid in it. That's probably why it makes noise. I'll get with you when I'm ready for the skid plates and stuff. Thanks again.

Ryan

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

WAIT! A 83 should be a 208 and they DO run ATF. If it is all aluminum housing then yes it's a 208. If it's cast iron then it's a 205 or 203. 205 runs Gear and the 203 runs motor oil.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper