Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skinned out rear Quarters?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trollporter, Jan 31, 2006.

1. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

I have search this site until my head hurts and cant find anyone who has skinned out their rear quarter panels. I remeber seeing a post about two years ago where someone had done this to a flat black K5 but I cant think of his user name.

My fenders are to the point of no return and I'm greatly considering doing this and exoing over it but need to know how the fenders are attached. Pinch welds?

any help whould be great!

troy

2. jagermiester

jagermiester 1/2 ton status

supersize75 did it.

3. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Thanks! Back to the search button I go.

troy

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

What do you mean by "skinned out?". The quarters on my '73 were bolted on the whole length, except at the very front and rear there were a couple of welds to drill out.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if its for a 90, it'll be a combo of bolts and welds.. my 77 was mostly bolt, except welds at the b-pillar and tailgate post. but my 87 is mostly spotwelded with a few bolts...

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im gonna be doing this as soon as I recover from surgery. Original plan was to bob the rear of my truck... but in the end that will probably be more work than its worth and it'll never look perfect.

New plan is to take the bed sides off my '75 tow rig (gonna flatbed it anyway) which are dent free and uncut. I'll basically do a serious fender trim job to open up the wheel wells really big, cut out all the inner sheetmetal, cut off a few feet of the front of the bedsides (longbed truck bed vs a narrowed/shortened K5) and call it good. Stock taillights will be maintained, but the rest will pretty much be just the skin... bolted (prolly button-head cap screws) to the cage at enough places to keep it in place. Pics will be posted, of course.

j

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com