Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skip Proof Stereo

Discussion in 'Audio' started by DwarF, Apr 13, 2004.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about using a Marine grade stereo. Are they any more skip and or water resistant than standard car head units?

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Mine has never skipped even while bouncing around in the dirt. Look at the pic. CD didnt skip when I took the 2 or 3 foot drop [​IMG]

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Marine stereos are usually sealed against the elements better. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Few CD drives are truly skip proof, but many use modern technology to make it seem like they are. The drive is programmed to always be reading ahead and then sends its data into a memory buffer. If a jolt causes the laser to lose tracking for a few seconds, you never know it, as the unit keeps sending music out from the memory buffer. As soon as the laser finds it place again, the memory buffer gets quickly refilled once again. The end result is that you hear uninterrupted music. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

That would be handy if I knew what yours was! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Its a Pioneer. Ill get the modle number and post it when I get home tonight.

Nick

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Off-road.com/chevy has a product review on a cdplayer from crutchfeild.com, Heres the link...
    anti-skip cd playa

7. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

Yup, that looks about perfect. Thanks a lot!

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah i also have a Pioneer unit, plays the mp3,cdr,wmv,has the XM, good unit, the only time it has ever skipped is when i would hit a bump big enough for me to thank god i had my seat belt on, otherwise i'd have been layin on the pavement behind my truck. Nice unit, and are actually fairly inexpensive.