Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skip?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by trailblazer87, Aug 30, 2002.

1. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

So where have y'all shot the skip to?
    Hell, Idaho. Caught Boyscout up there.
    Tijuana, Mexico.
    Flagstaff, Arizona. Caught the Stumpjumper down there.
    If y'all here a call from Madera 915, it's me the trailblazer /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    I've heard some calls from Juneau Alaska, Beaverton Oregon, and Missoula Montana. Not you was it Z3PR?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I go as "866" when shooting skip, locally I'm "Lost Couse" I always streach out the name of the city, then quickly say the name of the state, finish off with "And we're trying" LOL. I've shot skip all over the U.S. and Canada. Usely shoot skip on the lower side of 27.3850, and 27.5050, ocationally 27.7050

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Years ago I was out working with a buddy in an orange grove on the east coast of Florida. We didn't have a watch with us and wondered what time it was. So I got on the radio in his truck and asked for a 10-36. A guy responded with a time that seemed way too early to me, so I asked him where he was located. Turned out that he was in Galveston, Texas, where it was an hour earlier than where I was. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what is skip?

5. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

"Skip" is where your radio signal is reflected off the ionosphere "skipping" a section on the ground and hits some more distant place... The only true DX contact I've made has been an operator in england from my little portable station only puttin' out 35W pep... Also worked the "skip" to more states than I care to mention, a few canadian provinces, and the carribbean... It's more fun to operate QRP rather than running 100's or 1000's of watts of power... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif