Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skunk -0 45acp-1

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by yellowK20, Sep 17, 2006.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just had a Skunk come on my back porch. and he sprayed the dogs my burb and the wholse side of my ****ing house . sorry little **** the bad thing is i can't even shoot the little **** because then he'll really spray:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I saw a skunk a couple of days ago. Big ole thing. Thankfully no spraying though.

3. yellowK20

it really sucks my whole damn house stinks know woke my kids up :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. justhorsinaround

Well that does blow. Now that ya got me thinkin about it we had that happen to one of our dogs years ago. Jenn used something to clean the dog with. Didn't get rid of all the smell but made it tolerable.

5. yellowK20

Tomato juice works somethink about the acid in it neutrilaizes the stink I'm gonna have to wash the dogs tomorrow with it :mad: as for my truck and the house........ not sure what to do

6. justhorsinaround

Wash them in tomato juice as well. What the hell. All you'll have to do is wash them again to get the tomato juice residue off.:D :haha:

7. yellowK20

yep, boy does this suck I'm gonna try to go hose things down right now

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shoot it, it takes them a long time to 'recharge' the stink factory which is why they usually hold back unless they see no other option. It's not like they have an unlimited supply of that stuff inside them...

We have a whole family of them spelunking around our place the last few weeks, and we're in a very urban area. I was outside for a smoke a little while back and saw a Momma skunk and her litter of 5 or 6 little ones come out of our front garden...with one of our cats following along. I haven't smelled anything yet, so it's pretty safe to say none of em have felt threatened enough yet.

Rene

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep. Right after they spray, you are pretty clear for a while. WTH caused it to spray? The dogs? if so, that won't happen again....

10. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

You can shoot him and not have him spray; shoot him in the heart with a .22-no hollow points, and not anywhere near the spine. An old trapper taught me this, and it helps out a bunch on the trapline each winter.
    I know it's a little late, but I hope this helps.
    Jimbo

11. Tim L

Tim L Registered Member

I can sympathize. Our dogs got into the skunks at the begining of summer and I think they want to get even because we smell them once or twice a week now! I've got my 22 ready ,even if it sprays one last time at least it will be one last time! Stinky basterds

Tim

12. cbbr

You think that would work with, say, a .45.;)

13. Tim L

Tim L Registered Member

I'm sure the 45 would make you feel a little better but I dont know about your neighbors,Hard to beat a rifle with a scope for a one shot opportunity.

Tim

14. cbbr

I forget about that. When I lived in town, I had a .22 loaded with Lapuas. Nice and quiet. I am a little farther out now.

15. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

shoot it in the gut. Ive heard they cant spray if you shoot em in the gut and all the ones Ive shot have never sprayed.

16. yellowK20

What an ordeal, I would have shot him but the only gun I have here at the house is my single shot 12-gauge with Double-00 buckshot (all the rest of my guns are in my father inlaws gun safe at his house) and I would have gotten sprayed directly if I would have opened the sliding glass door and I could have possibly hit my suburban or myself with the richochet plus all 3 dogs were right there to:doah: I stayed up until 3 this morning washing the dogs one of them got it directly in the eyes ..... not good his eyes are swelled shut and it seems like he's having trouble breathing :( you guys think he'll get better or should I take him to the vet??

17. cbbr

Sounds like something for a vet to handle. Try mixing the following and washing them with it -

One quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide (drug store or walmart)
    1/4 cup of baking soda
    one teaspoon of liquid soap

Don't put it in a bottle with a cap, use a bucket.

18. yellowK20

Thanks , I'll try that next time I washed the dogs with tomato juice and then with Mane 'n' Tail horse shampoo they smell okay now I just called the vet she's gonna come check him out

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

nose candy!...NOT!!

We have 3 "stinkers" out in my backyard every night lately too!..I have to be careful when going from my house to the shop--they are always just a few feet from the garage digging grubs up out of the lawn!--but they rarely get excited,or threaten to spray,unless I startle them..I consider them a great security system...anyone snooping around MY yard will be "skunked",and easy to identify later,if they commit any crimes while on my property!..

We have a bunch of feral cats here my mother feeds..often,the skunks "dine" on their food on the back porch!--while the cats sit 5' away,and just stare at them...one cat might have gotten sprayed,its eyes were swollen shut for several days for some reason..I got some antibiotics for it,and managed to get it to eat them with its food..its fine now..I'm wondering if it was a skunk,or if one of my douchebag neighbors sprayed it with something..it didn't smell skunky,so I suspect it was someone who didn't want it in their yard--I hope next time its a SKUNK they mistake for a cat.

:crazy:

20. cbbr

Spread a bunch of Cayenne pepper around and they will usually go away.