Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skunk-B-Gone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5Jimmy, Apr 6, 2003.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

OK, so I just got into bed last night, and the wife stepped outside the garage to the rear driveway to have a cigareete before bed...standing out there in her Little cotton robe admiring the evening, etc...All of a sudden I hear this blood curdling scream and Help, Help, Help!!

So I jump outta bed, grab my shorts and head for the garage...she meets me halfway, in tears, and says there's a Skunk in the Garage...I'm thinkin' WTF!

So I look, and sure enough there's a dang skunk under her car...we leave the garage door open since we are in and out that door mostly...So I get a couple pieces of Hot Dog from the fridge and toss them out into the driveway where this Critter has been eating the Junebugs that had been attracted by the light and are now all over the driveway...

I couldn't get the little SOB to leave, so I left the garage door open all night...He was gone this morning, and didn't spray anything, but I think he's living in the woodpile my neighbor keeps to attract rabbits...I went and poked around today with my 9mm in hand, but found nothing...

Any of y'all know of some sort of repellent that would keep this thing from coming back?...other than keeping the light off to keep the Junebugs away, and keeping the door closed.. The Wife won't go out back anymore, and wants me to check front and back before she goes outside to smoke...Thank God it wasn't a Snake...she would have had a heart attack and fell on top of it.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. BLAZEN70

BLAZEN70 Registered Member

I think you had the right idea when you got your 9mm. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Lead is an excellent deterent for anything. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Don't know about repellant, but I do know that Skunks love Kentuck Fried Chicken... You might set a trap using a wing as bait...

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You might set a trap using a wing as bait...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I would try to trap a skunk. A leg trap could catch the neighborhood cats and a live trap ..... well... you tell me: Would you want to walk up to a skunk that was trapped and scared and try to pick up the cage??? Me neither.

Skunks are pretty laid back and docile unless they get really freaked out. We used to feed them oatmeal cookies when we went camping when I was a kid. They won't attack you or sneak up on you to give you a spray, they would rather just run away. Kind of like a rattlesnake. If you start pissing them off and scaring them then you will get bit but if you leave them alone then they will just mind thier own business. You should be able to just chase it away by just making some noise, talking, growling and corralling it away from the house. Just don't leave any food outside and it should leave you alone.

If you can legally use a firearm on your property, use a .22 NOT a 9mm. The shock from the 9mm will likely rupture his stink gland and then you will have to smell it for the rest of the summer!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Ya on second thought that's kind of a dumb idea... I know they love chicken because the old lady who lived next door to me used to leave it out for them and whole families of skunks would come around late at night to pig out. They never bothered me and they left after they ate...

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Most of what you said is just common sense, and I had already thought along those lines...

I had heard somewhere that if you pee where they forage, they would stay away....the neighbor lady is a master gardener and agrees with this although she has never tried it (now There's a hell of a mental picture)...

The 9mm is just what I keep handy...I had thought of getting out my old Savage semi auto, but thinkin' all I have is Long Rifles, and I'd really like to have some Shorts...so I settled on the 9mm since it was handy... neighbor across the street is an ATF agent, so I might just go get him and see about playin' hell with my SKS...I could tell him it's a Pet Skunk from Waco... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

This has nothing to do with deterrant for critter's.

About 20 year's ago, a close freind of mine, bought a house. And said house needed major repair's, like a new foundation. So Robert was spending every last bit of spare time at the "project" digging pit's, lengthwise under the "project", to put in heavy steel I beam's, to jack the house up.

One evening He was under there digging away by trouble light, and came nose to nose with a Skunk.

When He told Me about His encounter with the "Alien" He said I don't know which one of us, backed outta there the fatest, the damn Skunk, or Me! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had heard somewhere that if you pee where they forage, they would stay away....

[/ QUOTE ]

I had someone tell me to try that to keep the neighborhood cats out of the flower beds.

After considering all the hours I spend kneeling in the garden pulling weeds and rubbing up against the plants, I decided against it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

any neighbors that you dont like?
    leave a trail of food from your house to theirs...
    then stop putting food near your place, make the trail shorter and shorter as the days go....i'd say in a weeks period you could lure him to someone else's place for good! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

skunks hate the smell of moth balls.....they make a good repelent. (works for most cats too) Sprinkle it around the house and it should leave you alone. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif