Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skunk

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think I have a Skunk living under my shed. I throw out old bread for the birds. Tonight about 9:45, I was out on the deck when a skunk came out from behid the shed and started eating the bread. Mr. Skunkers wasn't afraid of me at all. I sat there and watched it eat for about a 1/2 hour, then it went back behind the shed. Kind of cool in a way.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Poison bread.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I read up on the internet about skunks alittle last night. One thing shunks do is kill rattlesnakes. I think I'd reather have the skunk living under the shed then some rattlers. I've been seeing this same skunk for a couple years now, just never had it this close when I've been out on the deck before.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just don't get close behind it. :D

5. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Keep a few gallons of tomato juice handy just in case. :D

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

All the skunks I've come across had an attitude. They seemed to be fearless, or extremely stupid. Had a hard time preventing my dogs from getting to close (not always successful).

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Peppy La PEW!

I have a few "Peppy La Pew's" under my shed too,living in a burrow a woodchuck dug under a wooden pallet that a bunch of sheets of waferboard were stacked on to keep them off the wet ground..dam woodchuck filled my shed with about 2 wheelbarrows full of dirt!..he moved out after I put a hose from my diesels tailpipe down his hole and ran it at a fast idle for awhile!--but the skunks moved right in after the woodchuck left!..

I feed the birds stale crackers and old bread too,but I've learned not to scatter it too close to my house or shop---the birds often get squat,its the squirrels,racoons,skunks and O possums that get 90% of the stuff I put out for the birds!..the skunks are the ones I hate the most(because of the smell,and I would hate to get sprayed!)...many times I've come out of the garage,and a skunk is RIGHT THERE 3 feet away! :eek1: :eek: :yikes: ,and it stomps its feet,the "warning" its about to fire!...A few black and white cats hanging around gave me a "false alarm" many times too,until I realized it wasn't a skunk!.. :crazy:

I've been lucky so far,that they have always scampered off,rather than spray me!..but they often fight with all the stray cats around here,and more than once I've been awakened by the stench of a skunk that just sprayed right outside the window!..PHEW!..takes weeks for it to dissapate too.. :mad:

They posted a warning locally about feeding the birds--seems some black bears are in the area,and they are fond of birdseed!--a lady saw 2 of them in her backyard in a town not far away,raiding her birdfeeder!..they also warned about rabies,skunks seem to get it the most,and they said to avoid them if possible!..NO?? REALLY?? :rolleyes: .. :surepal: --glad they warned me--I was gonna pet one and bring it in the house.. :surepal: ...

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Here in western SD, we have alot of rattlesnakes. If the info on the internet is correct, Skunks kill rattlesnakes. I much reather this skunk live under the shed then a rattler. I only see the skunk at night. Heck, I don't mind havind a skunk around. I've been seeing it off and on for a couple of years. I stay up on the deck when it's in the yard. It hasn't sprayed anything in my yard yet that I'm aware of, haven't smelled it anyways. There is a faint musky order near the shed, but it's not bad. Occationally I'll throw fruit (Starting too go bad) down in the rock garden for the critters. That's the first time I seen it eating in my yard a couple years ago. I like nature, I don't mind feeding wild animals. I like seeing them.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Our yard is a sanctuary....

We have about the last 2 acre lot that is still woods on my street,the woods go about a mile behind my house before you reach more houses or the interstate highway..so we have about every animal you can think of here most every night, I've seen foxes,coyotes,deer by the dozen,along with the usual skunks,opossums,beavers,woodchucks,squirrels,all kinds of birds,racoons,badgers,even saw a porcupine on my back porch once eating the leftover cat food! :eek1: ...wouldnt want to get HIM pissed! :crazy: ..

.Only thing I dont see much of here anymore are rabbits and chipmonks..probably because of all the stray cats we have hanging around lately..not as many birds as before too,for obvious reasons!..but we had a moose nearby that was stuck by a truck and killed,and now a few black bears have been seen not far away too...

I saw a box tortise this summer,something I havent seen in years!(and I think its the same one I saw about 5 years ago!)..not as many frogs and toads as there used to be,pretty rare to see one now..not too many snakes either thank god(only copperheads and diamondback rattlers here for poisonous snakes--only seen 1 copperhead when I was in my teens in my hometown--never saw a rattlesnake in the wild here yet--but there was a water mocasin caught in my hometown many years ago! :yikes: --in a pond we used to swim in!)....a four foot alligator was caught in a nearby town's pond at a park a few weeks ago!- :eek1: -someone must have released it when it outgrew their bathtub!(gators cant survive the winters here,it must have been a pet!)...

Poor creatures are losing all their habitat to development around here...many deer have been hit and killed right in front of my house,and on nearby highways..thankfully,the coyotes have not been in my area for awhile--they were becoming quite a problem for awhile,some kids were attacked by them on Cape Cod,and in RI,where they seem to have moved to where its more rural still,and has lots of open spaces left..I feel bad for the critters,they are losing all their homes.... :crazy: