Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sky Diving...Who's done it????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BlazerGuy, Jan 16, 2004.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Sky Diving...Who\'s done it????

I want to go sky diving on Spring Break. Anyone here done it? Tips? Tricks?? Stories?? Thanks

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Re: Sky Diving...Who\'s done it????

Hmmmm.. Funny you should ask... I've been jumping for over 20 years now. What would you like to know?

For your first time I would go with the Tandem Jump. They hook you up to an instructor with a harness and you get out of the plane at 12,500 feet. You both come down under a large square canopy and it's all over in just s few minutes. Tandems open at about 5000 feet so your freefall time is a little shorter than an experienced jumper gets. We open at about 2000 feet.

It's a great thrill and something you may find yourself wanting to do as a sport. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'll try to answer them the best I can.

That's me on the left. This dive is called a "Horny Gorilla" where we are all on our backs.

[​IMG]

Here we are exiting the plane for that dive.

[​IMG]

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Did it once or twice or 11 times in the Marines...But nothing really fun or exciting like those Recon bastards did....but I wasn't bitter or anything like that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But nothing really fun or exciting like those Recon bastards

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's actually what got me thinking about sky diving. I'm interested in becoming a Recon Marine so I figured I'd try it out before I went in! Thanks for the replies...

5. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Stickseler,
    I was one of them Recon bastards. Yes, we had bunch of fun jumping. BlazerGuy, if you want to get into Recon, you need to be in very good shape and be at the top of your class. When I was in, in the mid 80's, you had to be in the top 10% to have a chance of going to Recon School. When I was in school, only about 15% of the class made it. Good luck and I wish you well. Semper Fi

6. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

I jumped with the Golden Knights last winter, Was a Blast. hard to describe, you just become a Meat missle. They made us cool videos and photographs, and also gave us certificates. a Really nice experiance. Have fun. Chad /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. landsmasher

I have a friend who was one of the first on the Golden Knights team for the Army. His skydiving license number is D-22. To give you an idea, my D license number is D-18859 and I've been doing it for over 20 years now. This guy is still jumping and I've made many with him.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i cant wait until i turn 18..only 3 more months /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

9. landsmasher

Did I give you a list of drop zones for your area? If not I can do so. I can also reccomend you to people I know personally and I can guarantee you a great time... You could actually go out there now and meet them. Get to know them. Watch some of the action. OH! it's winter there now too... So the action might be limited... Let me know.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That'd be great...the more info the better...

11. landsmasher

OOPS I answered the wrong guy... Anyways the guy from NC can go meet my friends if he wants. Read this..

First post...

OK! I'm going to set you up with a very good friend of mine who just happens to live in NC and works as a Master Rigger at the Raeford Drop Zone. Is that near you? This would be the absolute best place for you to go. Even if it means some traveling....

12. landsmasher

BlazerGuy I don't know anyone in texas that jumps except for Gearge Bush Senior. You may want to talk to him....