Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sky Manufacturing *FYI**Update*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

As you may have read in my other D44 Crossover post recently I sheared 2 of the 9/16" steering studs in my steering arm. My steering arm, arm spacer, and stud kit was from Sky Manufacturing.

I just got off the phone with Sky and I want to give them a thumbs up on there business practices. I told the first guy that answered my problem and he said wow, let me transfer you.

I was transfered to someone else where I explained my setup and problem with the sheared studs. He said I was the first person to shear there steering studs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Its always cool to get the first one. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif He was amazed when I told him I sheared them with 35" MTR's and no hydro assist. He said that they now offer a 5/8" upgrade kit to help with this problem. He said even though it hadn't happened to there stuff yet the track record with other people made it necessary.

He is mailing me a 5/8" upgrade kit free of charge. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I am no my own to get the knuckle machined to 5/8" but oh well. He offered more 9/16" studs also so I wouldn't have to tear the knuckle down but I think I would probably just break them again.

So eventually I will be going to a 5/8" stud. I think I am going to try and break the Grade 9 bolts I picked up today.

The Sky studs are made of a "stress proof" steel rod which is supposed to be pretty damn strong according to them so we will see if I break Grade 9.

Thanks Sky Manufacturing.

Harley

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: Sky Manufacturing *FYI*

Yep, Sky is a great guy to deal with. Even better when you are close enough to drive up to his shop (and get a 10% local club discount) /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That's is one of the best customer service stories /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Small business rocks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sky is the man. I'm VERY happy with my crossover, and I purchased it before the recent price increases. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow that sounds like excellent customer service /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah, hes AWSOME!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

They will soon be getting a chunk of My change *Hi-Steer*
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Sweet! That is great to hear about excellent customer service. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Just a couple questions b/c my setup is similar. How big of a spacer are you talking. 1 inch? Did you have to use longer studs? I wonder how much more force is put on the studs with the addition of the space (b/c I'm not using one).

Mike

9. Hossbaby50

Yep, 1" spacer and 1" extended studs. One of the resident engineers may be able to tell you how much stronger the stock studs are over 1" extended studs. I am hoping the Grade 9 bolts will cure my ills. If not I will install the 5/8" upgrade from Sky.

Harley

10. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Is there a link to SKY manufacturing? Can we have it? Or atleast a contact #.

11. Hossbaby50

12. edlavarreda

edlavarreda Registered Member

sounds like echobit

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Sky Manufacturing is no way like echobit what so ever!!!!!

14. Hossbaby50

I don't know where you get Sky is like echobit but you are way off base. Sky has great customer service and makes a good quality product for a good price. They don't seem to be in over there head and seem to run a damn tight ship. When I ordered my steering arm I was told up front the day I ordered that it might not be ready right away for shipping. I said that was fine and it didn't matter but they called me back anyway later that week to tell me that it wasn't shipped yet and would be out ASAP, and it was.

Everything they have ever said was right on. I asked if my other steering stuff would ship right away because I needed it ASAP and it was shipped and I got it right when they said I would.

When I broke there studs they could have told me I am SOL that is the nature of Four wheeling but they didn't, they are sending me a new stronger part. Sounds nothing like echobit if you ask me. They didn't dodge my call or not do anything about my problem, they fixed it.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Harley

15. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sky did me good as well. I originally ordered and paid for a 1.25 OD Heavy Duty Tie Rod from them, but since they had a 1.50 Heavy Duty Tie Rod sitting on the shelf ready to go, he just sent me that for the same price of a 1.25 OD Tie Rod.

[​IMG]

16. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    He said that they now offer a 5/8" upgrade kit to help with this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping to hear this. I am gonna call and order my rockrod this morning, and talk to him about this. I really like Sky. The guy that runs it is a heeluva nice guy to talk with /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    sounds like echobit

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you smokin'????

I have met Sky and have been in his shop for hours on end, he is in no way, shape, or form compairable to echobilt. In fact since I'm new in town here I'm contacting Sky for all my stuff I need til I find a good source here for help.

18. Hossbaby50

Update:

I recieved my 5/8" upgrade studs, cone washers, lock washers, and locknuts on Monday. I also recieved 2 Sky Manufacturing stickers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

SKY ROCKS!!!!!!

20. Hossbaby50

Yep, after dealing with Sky several times now for parts and this stud problem I can definitly say the kick some major butt. I am totally happy with all my parts I received from them. They were all good stuff and delivered in a timely fashion.

I would highly recommend them. There parts, service, abd support are all top notch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Harley