Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sky-manufacturing WTF?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big89Burban, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

[rant] So I call Sky-mani. about a week ago. Dont know who picked up the phone but it sure did sound like some young kid. So I tell him what I want and tell him I'm doing x-over on a D44. I even added that I would have a large lift on this truck. The kid even asked which side steering arm I needed. I guess its just me, but I coulda swore when you do x-over it goes across the truck to the pass. side (HELLO!!). So I told the kid pass side. Then I ask a question (since I have so much lift should I get the thick arm?) Kid: "Umm, lemme ask sky" So I wait on the phone for a min. while he asks. Sky replies "yes". So I order the pass. side thick arm w/ a new chevy stud kit & cone washers. I also added the 2wd pitman arm just cause I was ordering the rest. So in the mail I receive the driver side steering arm (WTH?!?!)and to top it off it has the angle on the TRE hole for a Y set-up. So I cant even just order the pass. side again and do the high steer. I will have to send it back. Then have to order both again and wait another week!![/rant]

What gives man? I hate companies the have stupid phone-monkeys that know nothing about the products they are selling and pay even less attention to the parts you are ordering. I think if I ever get the right parts from them (not to say that they wont make it right) I will probably never bother to order from there again. Sure people make mistakes but you would only have to slow down for 1/2 a second and think what I needed to do X-over :mad:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

tre angle for y steering? I am not understanding what that means....

3. Big89Burban

The driver side TRE hole is cut at an angle (if it were installed) it would angle up towards the pass side. Ive seen people do the inverted Y steering (draglink doubles as a tierod on pass. side and then you have a short tie rod connecting back to the draglink for driver side).

I'm just saying that I couldnt even use this arm for high steer if I wanted. The TRE hole is at an angle and would screw up the relation between the two Ends on the tierod therefore making both TRE's be at 10* angles towards each other. (like the scary steering page!) :D

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Odd, I have ordered from SKY many times before and never had a problem.
    I am sure he will make it right......but i do agree with you about the phone monkey types.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

are you sure the angle isn't the angle any good high steer arm has to correct for high steer? I've never seen high steer arms designed specifically for the Y style steering, those steering setups ususally go right to the knuckle.

like this:
    [​IMG]

6. Big89Burban

doah!

I think your right. I forgot about the knuckle being angled on top. Guess thats there to keep the TRE's paralell with eachother. Woo woo, now I get to just order the pass. side again!

Edit:

I really didnt want high steer. I want to go D60 later and dont really wanna drop more money in the D44 than I needed to. Oh well guess I'm doing high steer anyway.

Thanks for the correction :doah:

I retract *some of my previous statments

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well if you didn't want high steer don't get it. Yeah its a nice thing but don't take something just because its there.

8. Big89Burban

I know, but to me its not worth waiting 2 weeks for me to send one back. Then get the other one sent. Just chalk it up to experience I guess.

Best thing is that after this I could run smack into animals/cars whatever and not hurt my steering :haha:

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree, if you didn't want it, don't do it. More work, clearance issues, more stress on the knuckles, more money...

If you don't want to wait, cross ship them. Buy another and send back the incorrect one. Then he can credit you PLUS SHIPPING when he gets it back. When it's all said and done, a good seller will make sure it cost you no more to get what you needed in the end than it would if they had sent the wrong part. All your out is the time delay.

And a GREAT vendor will make sure to try to help you out there too when it's there mistake. Maybe free next day on the new part, maybe crediting before they receive the part (though most won't since most customers would not ever send the part without the money incentive), maybe offering a shop credit on the next purchase, who knows.

10. Big89Burban

That sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna have to call them tommorow and see what they can do.

Thanks

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Some of the smaller companies that we do business with do have people that are not technically familiar with the products we buy from them working the phone. They cannot afford to have what few people they do have that are technically familiar with the parts we buy waste their time on the phone, or afford pay somebody that does have some technical know how a living wage to work the phones for them like the bigger companies can.

I have done business with Sky before, and had a small problem, but when I explained it to him he did not argue the point with me at all. All he said is...he would get the part I needed right away, and without even asking me to send back the other part back...he put in the extra time to run all over town to find it, and then over-nighted it to me.

12. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Just call and ask to speak with Sky, he'll work it out, when i ordered my crossover kit, the drag link was short, i called the next monday and told him how long it was he said hold on, he went outside and measured a similar truck, came back to teh phone and said, "Dont know what i was thinking but i sent you teh wrong part, you'll have the new one in a couple days." And in a couple days i got it. when i called to ask if he wanted the old one back he said, no dont worry about it. speak to him directly and he'll make it right.

13. Big89Burban

Ok. So I callled today and let them know that I received the wrong part. The guy took my name and info down and said he would return my call after he found my order. So about 10min. later he calls back (im already impressed that I didnt have to call them back) and says that they had me down for a pass. side and that it was there mistake. So they are supposed to rush me the pass side and send me a return order along with it for the driver side. I guess the rumors are true. I feel a lot better about them trying to rectify the situation. Might just give 'em a second chance :D

I'll let you guys know how it turns out when I get the other part.

14. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

I also ordered my hysteer kit from Sky and the tie rod was cut to short (about 4 inches to short). I called them and they told me I was a crack smoker. I laughed and asked them how many chevy kits they sell. Long story short they cut a new one to my dimensions and rush shipped it to me along with a return parts label to return the wrong one. And has been working just fine ever since. All in all, I loved there sense of humor over the whole thing and will order from them again. As for the phone monkey. I think he was just sweeping the floor near the phone when it rang. Andi or Aaron (the welder) usually answer whenever I call them up.

15. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

This exact situation happened to me when I ordered from Sky. Ordered a passenger arm, got a driver arm, called that day, they rushed the passenger arm out and sent a will call tag for the drivers arm. No extra cost to me, but a couple days extra wait.

Maybe if Sky reads this, they'll do something about double checking orders, or talk to whoever packs the boxes in the first place.

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have had nothing but great experience with SKY. There parts are first rate and they stand behind them. I used there steering arm studs and I ended up breaking them. I called Sky and I talked in depth with them about it and they shipped me out a set of HD upgraded 5/8" studs no charge. They didn't even ask for me to prove that I broke them. They just sent them out right away.

Harley

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sky is a great guy to deal with. Nice when he is basically just down the road too :D

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

what is their connection to Dunk's Performance? i've heard they're right across the street from each other, but Dunk's sells Sky parts. whats up with that?

19. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Dunks is a distributor for Sky's products. Sky builds the parts, Dunks sells them.