Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skyjacker 4" review!!!!

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Nov 21, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Skyjacker 4\" review!!!!

OK, where do I start...oh...installation. 3 days it took, mainly because of the wrong parts in the kit from Skyjacker. It came with two different size bushing eyes when I needed the same size...after some searching, got the right parts and put the front in.
    In the end, the front is now 5 1/4" higher than it was before. It hasn't settled much yet, but that'll change. Ride is a controlled feel, not rough, not wavy, perfect. I really do like this kit, but I'd say get some RS9000's to dial in the ride. Flex, I haven't flexed it hardcore, but I twisted the axles up and it does pretty well.
    In the end, my front exhaust needs to be cut for clearance, my front shaft needs a spacer or to be lengthened, my sway-bar needs to be lowered, and the rear needs traction bars 'cause of BAD axle wrap.
    In the end, I'd say this is a great kit. Cruise down bumpy dirt roads at 60 with confidence. Anyways, I'll have some pics when I can get them!

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Re: Skyjacker 4\" review!!!!

How is the rear lifted? Blocks?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. 89GMCSuburban

4" blocks, add-a-leaf. One big thing I thought about is I left the spring clamps open for flex, that's probably doing it.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The blocks are most likely what is causing your problem. Been there, fought it until I put in 4" rear springs. Worth the money when you can afford it. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

By the way, do you have the Fosgate subs in a box? I'm wondering how the Burb guys do their systems........since my K5 is sold and moving up to Burbville. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Before I have my system stolen outta mine, I built a custom sub box for 2 15"ers. Built the box to specs, but it was built so that the subs were firing towards the floor at a slight angle to the front of burb about 1" off the floor. That is about the best sound that I found. Just my .02cents.

7. 89GMCSuburban

I have them in a sealed box I bought from www.millionbuy.com. Good box, had to seal it a little more around the junctions, but overall, it's great. Was only $59.95. I stuck it behind the third seat and have it facing towards the front. No problems and I have PLENTY of room left. A plus is that the third seat now vibrates from the subs...

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im about to buy a 4" all spring skyjacker with shocks from a fellow ck5er...sounds good so far...rancho rs9000 is on my list..but those things arent cheap..take some saving up...for me at least /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

id lik to know how to set it up in a k5...ive been thinking about it..but i dont want any side panals..its going to pretty bare in there..rhino lined floor with rubber floor mats..and rhino lined sides...

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I did it in the side panels with my K5, but that is sold............here's how I did it then. Not the ultimate for thump but I was after room, not thump. Those are 10" MTX Thunder 5000's in there. Don't want to go that route, so a box of some sort will probably be the answer. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[​IMG]

11. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I've just been looking at replacing the factory 10x4s with 10s. there is planty of room and the echo form the sheet metal should increase the bass sensation. That way I dont' have to take up any space. There is enough air space behind there. The best part is they wouldn't be visable from the outside with factory tint.

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah i'm gonna put a set of 6x9s where my 4x10s are now and then some 10"s in the side panels in the very back most likely. probably just end up eliminating the spare tire hole.

13. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Thats where my tools and stuff are going. Any one know of there is a panel out there to replace the left side rear so it looks like the right once the tire has been removed? I've never seen it as an option to not have the spare so I would assume they don't.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i MAY make some wood carpet coverd panals...i just dont like the look of a big open box sitting there..it just wounldnt look right..and i would rather have the room..i could always take the side panals and speakers out when i went mudding anyway..

bryan