Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skyjacker Lift Springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kevinv, Jun 28, 2000.

1. kevinv

kevinv Registered Member

I just got some 6" lift springs from skyjacker- CR16S-

Looks like the axle shims are not steep enough the get my 1/2 ton axle rotated so that the rear joint is nearly straight (CV at the front)- anyone else notice this?

Can anyone comment on the axle shim required for these springs on a K5?

Thanks for any help!!

kv@us.ibm.com

2. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

I have the 6inch skyjacker lift and the shims they sent me work great. I also have the t-case dropped (skyjacker has the stuff to do this to.) As far as degree or numerical numbering I couldnt tell ya except to call skyjacker and they can help. The have helped me out before.

3. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the u-joints supposed to have the same angle at both ends? If they didn't wouldn't the driveshaft have sort of a 'whipping' effect? So then you wouldn't want the rear pinion angle pointing straight up the d-shaft.Just a thought-Russell

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

hey slodawg,
    how does the skyjacker 6" ride? did you get the rear springs?

Knife.

5. kevinv

kevinv Registered Member

You really want two conditions met on a driveline:

1) pinion and T-case output parallel UNLESS UJOINT angle is > 3 degrees (this is conservative)

In My case, the Blazer with even 4" lift exceeds this 3 degree number- SO then what you want to do is install a CV joint near the T-case (in place of the front U-joint) and shim the rear axle so it lines up nearly straight with the drive shaft.

I just installed Skyjacker 6" springs- and the shims they sent DO NOT get my rear joint angle near 0- so I wonder if they sent the wrong shims...

???

6. kevinv

kevinv Registered Member

I called SJ but they were of little help- in fact they admitted that they sell the same spring/shim combo for both the pickup and the Blazer--- this is obviously theoretically wrong (IMHO) since the driveline angles are much different on the pickup than on the Blazer...

Is your rear Ujoint angle near zero with the shims they sent you?

Just trying to get this all figured out...

Thanks for the replies!!

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    No that can't be right, everyone here say's customer service, and there springs are the best, and they are always willing to help out. The Tech's only get 8 dollars an hour what do ya exspect ?
    Good luck

8. kevinv

kevinv Registered Member

OK--- chuckle! Yeah I agree that the springs are highly recommended but the numbers don't lie--- same shims sold for both the pickup and Blazer-(check out the part num) that can't be right.

8 bucks an hour should be enough to know that-- right? (Grin) Thanks for the thoughts. KV.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I was under the impression that shims were only good for about 2 deg. or so. I was also under the impression that to rotate more than 4-5 deg. required re-mounting the spring pads on the tube to build the angle into the axle. Comments?

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!