Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skyjacker soft ride vs Tuff Country E-Z ride

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ABLAZN, Jul 11, 2006.

?

Which do you prefer

Poll closed Jul 18, 2006.
  1. Skyjacker Soft Ride

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Tuff Country E-Z Ride

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

Here we go.. I am looking at these two 4 inch lift kits for my 1970 K5. Since all my stock springs are shot I will be replacing all four corners. This is going to be a DD, so ride is the main factor in this chioce. I have seen the spring rate chart for them both, but there can be more factors to it then just rates. If you have been able to ride in rigs with both or either, please let me know what you think of them. So which do you prefer.

Skyjacker Soft ride

Tuff Country E-Z Ride

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have never used either spring... but it might help if you added more info about your rig so people can provide better answers. For example, what shocks do you plan on running? blocks, springs or flip in the rear? Which is more important to you, being able to corner at higher speeds or having a soft/cozy suspension that sucks up bumps? Will the rig be used offroad at all or is it purely a street machine?

j

3. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

More info......

The rig is getting a 5.7 Vortec transplant. I have a set of Rancho 9000x 9 way adjustable shocks setting on the shelf, I am just waiting to put them on with the lift. A soft ride is the main objective, but safe handling is a must. ( Read steet machine here) I also plan on front and rear sway bars. Also, thinking of using a matched front and rear spring set from which ever manufacture that I go with.

4. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have skyjacker softride springs and if these are soft I would hate to feel their stiff springs.

5. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

I have the 4" Skyjacker softrides (front and rears) on my 86 Burb, and they are a little to soft for my taste. I had them on my 81 K20 truck before, and felt that they were a nice ride. Shocks were the hydro skyjacker 4" kind in both cases...
    I am thinking about adding a leaf to the rear pack for more stiffness back there on the Burb...
    Joshua

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I have the TC on my '90 K5. I really don't notice much difference. Any solid axle 4x4 is going to have a "rough" ride. Seems about the same to me. Price is what led me to the TC's.

7. jekbrown

front and rear anti-sway bars? I wouldn't worry about which springs you get, just get whats cheap. They won't be going anywhere with them swaybars anyway!

j

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

SkyJacker springs are made in America with American steel. They also cost almost twice as much as a set of Tuff Countrys do. Tuff Country springs are made in India with Chinese steel.

Skyjacker springs come in the box as 4-leaf spring pack Heavy Duty springs. In order to make then into Soft Rides, you must remove the short bottom 4th spring. Tuff Country come in the box as 3-leaf spring pack EZ rides and that is it.

I have a set of 6" Tuff Country EZ rides on the front of my 1-ton Crew Cab. Since my truck only has a small block in it (no winch as of yet), the Tuff Country's are fine. I would rather have a set of SkyJackers because I want to install a Big Block in my Crew Cab someday, and it would be nice to have the option of being able to go to change my springs to Heavy Duty if needed for the BB.

9. jekbrown

hard to imagine china is exporting raw steel for use in China. Everything I have seen says China is importing all the steel/iron ore they can get their hands on. If I had to guess, if they are made in India, the ore prolly came from Aussieland.

j

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think you meant to say, "hard to imagine china is exporting raw steel for use in India".

I am not sure where all of China's steel ore comes from from, but there are 100's of steel mills in China, and exporting this steel is a big business for them.

11. jekbrown

yeah, thats what I meant. lol! India has a gigantic steel industry of its own. There is a guy in the "top 10 richest people" who is a steel baron from India. Im not saying anyone is wrong about the TCs... it would just be kinda weird for a nation with such a huge steel industry of their own to buy from another big steel producer...

j

12. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I use skyjacker softride 4" springs w/rancho 9000's. I think they ride decent. The flex is ok, but not great. I think it's a good road setup.

13. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I've got TC 4" EZ ride in the front of my blazer and I am happy with how they perform on/offroad. I've actually driven on the road with my swaybar disconnected and it still rode pretty nice

14. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

MY DD is a 85 K10 with Tuff County 4" EZ ride 52" springs front and rear. I think the ride as good as it gets for a lifted solid axel truck. It no Cadilac but it not bad either. I also still have my front sway bar in and I can solidly change lanes on the highway with no body roll. I don't think you will have to worry about body roll with front and rear sway bars. I say loose the rear sway bar, its not really needed unless unless you want to go drifting? :doah: :rotfl:

15. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

i run the 6"softrides and they work very well offroad, and seem to handle good when it was on the road... i run a BB chevy too so that may also compensate for some of the "cushiony" ride, but also price is a big factor... also like mentioned, made in USA, what do they know about how us as Americans are gonna bet the piss out of our American iron...

16. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

I have ran skyjackers and Rancho. Have not tried TC yet. But right now I have Procomps 6" with a BBC in the front and its by far the best suspension I've been in for a solid axle street truck other than deavers and coilovers.

17. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Old thread but it looks like things have changed. Tuff Country is now made in the USA.

18. shovelbill80

shovelbill80 1/2 ton status

damn, thanks for bringing this back.....i've been away from trucks for a while and always assumed the TC was made here. if i had bout them and not known they were made in india i probably would have sold them for a real American company........i'm just not in a financial situation to be buying Alcans. i need to research the Pro Comps more too before i get my other goodies from the vendors here. i can't imagine what life woulda been like if we had the internet 25 years ago. i do know though, through trial and error.

i'm glad you brought this up.

19. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

what is Alcans? 25yrs ago most parts were made in us. i refuse to put any china part on the old chevy

20. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

superlifts are made in India, has a sticker right on the leafs