Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skyjacker/Superlift/Other???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78k20, Mar 12, 2004.

1. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Sorry for all the questions lately-have a day off, and "stalling" on the honey-do's /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, I'm currently running a 2" Rough Country with 35's, and tired of the rubbing on any kind of high-burmed turn. Want to go with a 4", and the heavy duty ORD greasable shackles, but have a small problem: It's a 3/4ton truck that gets used as a TRUCK. I pull trailers and haul a lot of gear frequently, so it needs to ride like a truck, and not a soft/smooth riding caddy. It is not a full time trail rig, so I do not need a REAL flexy suspension, which is why I didn't mention BDS-I am affraid they may be too soft-or would they? This is the problem-I like everything I have heard about BDS and their warranty, as well as most of their 4" lifts are actually closer to 5, or 5.5", so I would imagine that after a few years, they won't sag near as much as another manufacturer's 4" system would. Yes, by system, I will be replacing springs all the way around-no blocks!

Whether or not shocks come with the system or not, I really don't care, I just want a good spring that will last, and ride like a truck should ride-not like a car. I hate pulling trailers or being loaded down and having the back end sagging like the old stock sub's used to do. My rough country's do fine now and ride OK, I just wonder about any other brand-what's good/better etc, and what would fit my needs better.

Also, another question about the BDS line-future plans include a winch and bumper-either home built project after I get a welder, or one of those good looking 4X Iron ones, with a matching rear-with tire carrier. As a result, weight will be the issue here, again with regards to sagging-will other brands like Skyjacker or Superlift in the 4" sag too much to where I'm rubbing as bad as I do now, or would it be better to just go with the BDS and just let it sag under the extra weight, as it would be slightly taller than 4" anyway???

Anyhow, the wife will be home for lunch soon and I'd better at least get something done before she comes home...

Thanks once again for any and all comments, you guys have been a huge help thus far!

Best of Luck,

Mike

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

You could go with Tuff Country HD front springs. I went with EZ rides but sounds like you want stiff ones. Give ORD a call and they will treat you right. 970-945-7777 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

See, that's just it-the spring rates (found on CK5 "Tech" page) list the Tuff Countries at 295 for the soft rides, and 395 if I remember right for the HD's. Being all 4" lifts, the rough countries were somewhere around 600-over 200 ft/lbs more than the tuff countries. I'm not sure how much difference there is between a 2" and a 4" in the same manufacturer, as usually there is more flex with smaller lifts, so I would assume this would translate to higher spring rates for higher lifts? I'm sure there's some ratio there according to lift heigth vs. spring rate but I have no idea what it is.

So, going from that rate table, assuming the 2" rough country system I have now is somewhat close to the 4", I'd need at least something in that ballpark to maintain proper lift height, with the heavier winch/bumper and all the gear I would carry as well as the trailer. So, back to BDS-where in the world can you find what their springs are rated at??? I've searched everywhere and have come up empty handed. How much softer are they? This is what makes me think maybe they would work, as from what I've read, most of their 4" systems are closer to 5.5" or so. IF that was/is true, then possibly even with the weight, trailer and winch/bumper, it would still be tall enough to not be a problem?

For the guys running BDS, how much do your heavy winch/bumper combo's make the front end sag, and how is the back end when loaded??? Sorry for all the questions and long posts with this, but I just don't want to be disappointed again-put a Rancho lift on a Jeep once several years ago, and damn-worst mistake I could have done to that thing!

Anyway, Thanks again for the advice, and you are right-the guys at ORD are great to work with!

Best of Luck,

Mike

4. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

ntwonline.com, get a super lift. for a solid front axle i got a 6" for $330 w/ blocks /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif. i heard they ride nice.

5. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

I run the 6" ez-rides with a 454 and still have at least 5 1/2 of lift!!!! to clear 38x15/16.5 TSL radials!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif