Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

skyler soft top on a suburban

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by fourwheelerjeff, Jan 21, 2002.

1. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have a question, I have a 84 suburban and I was thinking about cutting the top off where a skyler top would fit, is this feasible or would I need to get a top made, I do not know how the skyler top mounts, do they snap on or what? or maybe a kayline top? anyone done this or have any answers thanks jeff

Fort Worth Texas K5er[​IMG]It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission[​IMG]

2. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

thats a pretty good idea, but i dont think the skyler would be an easy fit. they have a bracket that bolts down to the lip where the hardtop normally fits. being a burban w/o the hardtop, theres no lip for you to bolt it to.
    it can be done, i saw a pic of one long ago, but there was a lot of work done to clean up the chopped top and a custom soft top was made to mount to what was left of the body.
    o and it was pretty badass from what i remember.

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I think just about every hard core vehicle moddifier has taken a look at the suburban and said ` I wonder how that'll look if I hack the top off of it' I know I've thought about it.

your best bet would probably be to cut it, and have a custom top made up for it, unless you're really good at sheetmetal welding. on my other mailing list, this question came up about a year ago, and some one had actually done the mod for someone else. they charged them 2500 bucks to cut the roof off, and line up the bed rails from a blazer so they could put a hardtop on it. as the guy put it `when I finished, it looked really cool, but I'll never do it again for that LITTLE money. '

I've thought about turning mine into a full convertable, but couldn't figgure out how best to make the doors windowframes work with it.

good luck with it,

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have a 85 suburban I got off a rancher, not a staight body panel anywhere so I figured Y not? I just barely know how to use a computer, but hopefully someday I might get a camera and if I do I will be sure and post pics, I had thought about grafting the back of a blazer, but can't afford that much LOL, yeah a canvas shop might be able to make a top pretty reasonable

Fort Worth Texas K5er[​IMG]It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission[​IMG]

5. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

few years ago i went to a mud run and there was a guy there with a 78/79 burban with the top choped open about 2" 3" behind the roofline and had a canvas sailcloth top with snaps and full dash to diff cage.it looked really cool,stopped and talked to him a bit and he said it looked cool but leaked like mad was louder then anything he ever heard (6" lift,36s and 454)and the cage mostly held up the snow from sagging the sailcloth to the seats and kept it on when he wanted to drive with his windows open.but it did look pretty cool.
    goodluck

"well,are you gonna pull them pistols,or whistle dixie!?"