Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skyler soft top on ebay today!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jpdrake, Apr 8, 2007.

1. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

8 hours left @ $740 right now. do any of you have one? how much did you get yours for?

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

740 for a half top?????????????????? you gotta be kidding me. You can get a Full softtop from Bestop for $650 or so. i realise thet you cant get those Skyler tops anymore. But there is another manufacture selling a fastback convertable top for 500
    That guy is making a killing on a used top. He started off with a more than fair price of 50.00 but stupid bidders have driven the price far beyond what that top is worth.

Hurry only 8 hours left:haha:

3. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

so is the fast back the one that makes it looks like a truck

4. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

well i guess im one of those stupid bidders also. i got mine on ebay last year for $700 and i think its the best $700 ive spent on my truck. i personally dont think the full canvas tops look good. i think the skyler top gives it that short bed look. i like how warm it makes the inside while im at work. and you cant beat the velcro, whats easier then that. but if that makes me stupid for paying more then it was band new, oh well.

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Mine was free, sort of.. When I bought my old 84 K5 it came with the soft top and hard top. When I sold it years later, I kept the soft top, but didn't remove the piece that holds the very front of the top since it was riveted to the cab. So, I got another hard top (for free) and will be making it work via snaps, and some mild shortening of the soft top. I started messing with it, but then got busy buying parts for my build, so it's sort of on the back burner for now. I still have the "scissor" supports for the center, and will just snap the soft top on the 3 sides to the new modified top. It probably won't be real rain proof.. at least not when on the road. But, it should work good enough to get home if it rains. I'll always have my hard top for when I need it. If I use this soft top enough, maybe I'll pony up and drop some coin on a newer nice soft top.

Dance 014.jpg

top stuff 007.jpg

6. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just bought a used STC for $350. It's in brand new shape.

7. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

No the fastback makes it look more like a Blazer with a convertable top. They are nice... If you are short you can even sit in the back seat.
    Never under stood it.....Why would you want to spend a bunch of money to your Blazer look like a short bed truck???? If you want a pickup just buy one.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I completely agree. A full soft top on a K5 looks retarded, like an over grown Jeep. The Skyler style makes such a clean look out of the truck without the top. Just really cleans up the look really well. I'd like to have one myself.

10. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

thats like the holly grail of having a blazer is the skyler soft top <and the original floor panel assemblly> both of which i found on ebay and paid 10% more then new for them just b/c the're not available any more. im guessing the fastback he's talking about is the one that goes from the roof line straight to the tailgate like and old 80's monseter truck at a straight angle...?
    and there is the other full canopy that im sure is functional but not astecically apealling <too me personally>. i drive alone in my blazer have my g/f in the pass. on the weekends and the cooler in the trunk. different strokes for different folks, im sure the all work well, it kinda hurt my fellings being considered "stupid" for having a skyler, oh well....

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry over it, as long as you're happy with it.

I agree about opionions, I don't care for the "pick up" look at all, and would rather have the full soft top that looks like a hard top. But, I have kiddos to ride back there. But even if I didn't, I don't care for that look, so I'd still prefer the full soft top.

12. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

13. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Basically what I did was take a hardtop I got for free and cut around it and put velcro on the 1" or so border and was done. Worked but looked crappy, I'm working on making my own soft top now (one that I can have my rollbar on, thats why I dont use the skyler top anymore) and the mounts I made out of an "L" shape of aluminum. Looks just like the factory mounts, Ill post a pic up when I get the chance. You could make something similar to work with the skyler top.