Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Skyler too, is selling out!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, Apr 12, 2001.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Well folks it is unfortunit, but true, it appears that skyler to is in the process of selling out to another company, the are all out of blazer tops and they probably wont be manufacturing them again until the new company takes over in mid summer, of course that is assuming that the new company dos indeed take over. Our choices are pretty much depleted now. Anyone got a used top for sale?
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Wow am I glad I got my soft top on Ebay last year. I thought I got shafted in the end of the auction (I paid $327) but now I could probably get more if I were to sell it.... which I do not plan on doing any time soon! Hopefully someone buys Kayline or Skyler soon. Someone on here should come up with blueprints for a soft top, then we could all go to our local boat shops and get them made. It's not hard for them to do once they have the blueprints.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, anyone with a commercial soft-top could take it down and make (careful) patterns for each panel out of packing paper or something. Then, ship the patterns off to one of the guys on the board here who runs a 2-D Cad who could create prints that could in turn be shared somewhere for download, printing, and delivery to a boat top shop. Not sure if that violates some sort of patent but, if not, it would sure be a nice thing to have...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I think those of us that are left without softtops will have to have it custom made. Thumpers' is a good example. But prices can vary tremendously so shop around. To bad we can't get quotes from various shops and see if someone would do a mass order or have a design where everyone can go to to order. But then if it's a solo company I'll bet they'll take advantage and bump up the price. Just some thoughts.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Or they could just take they're top to the boat place and have them duplicate it. Then we still need to find a way to copy the suport rails and brackets. It could be done.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

6. JoeAngelicchio

I say screw them, just vary the design a bit. Hey there still is a market for the tops, maybe not a huge market but it's still there. There'll be people who will also need to replace old damaged tops. They'll sell, just need someone with the experience and the equipment, and desire to accomodate (sp)this small market.

</font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. JoeAngelicchio

Support rails and brackets would probably be the easy part. The measuring, cutting and sewing would take someone with that expertice.

</font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I will be making a rear roll cage/soft top for my 78'(decided to keep her). My cousin own's a marine supply business, so I can get all the material at cost. I have a heavy duty sewing machine to stitch the vinyl or canvas together with and I also just received my pipe bender in the mail. When I get a good design down I will post the plans on this site for everyone to use.

1978 K5, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

9. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Hmmmm pipe bender huh? You know, you're only 15 minutes from my house [​IMG] !!! What size pipe can it bend? I have some soft door ideas I might want to materialize eventually.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the way the law is you can copy it exactly how it is and not worry about it...the only catch is you can not sell it for profit..if you build it for your own use its not a problem

Chaz

"Hondas look good under a k5's tires"

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

It will bend from 1/2"-2", it it one of those harbor freight deals. I plan to get a better one during the summer. I gotta order my plasma cutter soon too.

1978 K5, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

12. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If any one comes up with a good set of plans. I could have them blueprinted. Put on a cad program. Father and brother are draftsmen.......

[​IMG]

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Great. Now, if we can just get people who own nice soft-tops from each of the 3 styles 67-72, 73-75, and 76+ to make the paper paterns, we will all be set...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.