Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SLAB run was a huge sucess!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to thank everyone for making it out, we had a great time! ...... 4 Blazers, a Suburban, a Tahoe, a Nissan pickup, and one heck of a built Je@p (of course, it was a chevy drivetrain [​IMG]) met at the sonic to make the drive to Llano. Once there, we met up with 2 more blazers [​IMG]. It was great to see so many lifted/built blazers in one place!

The run was a complete sucess. We had a couple of stucks, but nothing that wasn't resolved quickly. We headed out into the river about 10:30-11:00am and made way to Eagle's Rock. Saturday must have been "Llano 4x4 day" because we saw lots of other vehicles out there. I think I counted over 27 different vehicles [​IMG]. We played around Eagle's Rock for a bit, and then continued up stream. Noone had any real major troubles, we had plently of great spotters. and with the Chevy Jeep leading the way on 39.5" Boggers, we had a great dip-stick to test the depths [​IMG] ... LOL.

I know there were more than a few cameras out there, so pictures should start poping up soon.

Thanks again to everyone who showed up, who's up for another one in late March / early April? [​IMG]

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Hey Thomas, sounds like it was a great trip! Sorry I missed it! I didnt get the blazer running good until sunday night! Maybe next time!
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

3. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Count me in! Thanks Thomas.

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Yep.. huge success..
    Some pics are on my website .. still lot's more to have developed.
    So.. here we go for now..
    Great to see everyone.. and we'll be planning another run/camping trip in the near future.
    Here's the pics so far... http://www.cassidy.rockcrawler.com/photo6.html
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Rockos-album <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Any of you Central TX guys going to come out to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.shilohridge.com>Shiloh Ridge</a> near Rusk March 1-3 and join us for the Mega Run and some great wheelin'? We register Friday night, compete Saturday (or watch), and wheel Sunday. It should be a blast. We are expecting about 150 - 200 rigs as of now.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

6. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

charlie-

if you're at a computer then i suppose you got the beast back home i hope?!?!??!

we were gonna go around the other way to get back to you guys, but the big jeep wasn't cooperating in the starting/staying running department, and mine glugged a little water going back towards eagle rock...

i was pissed i never got to ride with you guys, i spent just about the entire time ferrying different people in and outta there, and never got to see a single K5 in action....

so i also take it from my conversation with the game warden that he wasn't gonna change his mind about issuing the citations... man that sucks.....

as i was talking to him, it turns out that log we dragged around for a few hours saturday nigh was in a rancher's field, and someone dragged it through a brand new fence, breaing it in the process...

great- we towed it right up to our campground.... i had no idea it sorat made us an accessory to someone vandalizing rancher property.... not cool!! i think he figured out after talking to him that we weren't the ones who did it, though......

will you guys be attending the shiloh trip in march? might as well camp with us!!

great to meet you guys,

greg ( why are my floorboards wet, my engine sputtery, and sand comes shooting out of my air vents??)

* keep the greasy side down *

7. Stoopalini

Hey Charles,

I never can get your Rockcrawler page to come up? It always times out. Anyone else have this problem with Rockcrawler.com?

So did some exciting things happen after I left? Sounds like it. Did you have problems with one of your Blazers? and what's this I'm reading about citations! [​IMG] I hope nobody got a fine.....

That Shiloh Ridge place looks pretty cool. Is it all mud? (That's how the website portrays it to be) Has anyone been there before? What's the fee to go in and wheel for a day?

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

There is a lot of mud at Shiloh Ridge. But that is also because it is in wet East Texas. There are a lot of trails as well. Not much rock, though. But lots of steep inclines and such. If rock is what you want, have to go up the road to Gilmer - Barnwell Mountain or Clayton.

It is a lot of fun, though. Good camping, too. The fees for the big Tx4x4 weekend coming up is $30 per ORV for a weekend of wheeling and camping. The competition on Saturday is also going to be quite good. Obstacle course, sand drag races, and mud bog for three classes: stock, mild, and wild.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thomas.. I'm not naming any names..but the "driver" of my 89 Blazer got in a little too deep too far out up the trail.. seem's he ventured into "off-limit's" territory and submerged my 89. The land owner called the game warden when he was trying to free up the Blazer.. anyway's.. I got over there with permission from the land owner and game warden to pull my 89 out.. (man I love my 83.. she's one tough beyotch).. the engine in the 89 was hydrolocked... took water into the intake.
    So.. I pulled all the plugs, air filter etc... while someone talked to the game warden.. cranked the ignition.. all the water exited the spark plug holes and exhaust..
    I then let the spark plugs sun-dry.. then reinstalled them.. The 89 fired right up.. and we got out of there. back to Eagle rock to play a little more..
    So.. someone got fined.. "not me".. whew.. and no harm done.. I explained to my friend that never.. never leave and drive on your own.. that's when one get's in trouble..
    All is good now.. no breakage.. we're all home safe and I had a blast.. camping was awesome to...
    Greg.. we'll wheel again soon.. you guy's were great.. thanks for lending us a hand and supplying us with firewood..
    More pics coming soon..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

10. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Some more pics..
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Rockos-album <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

11. Stoopalini

Ok, I understand now. Glad to hear it was a minor conflict and all is well.

Your webshots URL is no-worky .... the address seems like a link you would use to edit you own albums. Can you post a link directly to your main WebShots page?

Tom.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --

12. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Try this link.. Got 6 rolls of film back.. going to scan some in here shortly...

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just as an FYI, is this thread off Pirate related?

<font color=blue> ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>[/b]

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

It's not, and to clarify, I'm the no named individual and Charlie is right. All is back to normal and his truck is back in shape. Yes I got a fine, but I don't kow how much yet. Everyone is safe and we had a blast this last weekend. I'm really eger to get my 72 running so I can go hydrolock it instead of my good friend's! Sorry Charles and again, you're right, always stay with someone and life is so much better! Unfortunatley, it took a hard lesson for me to learn this! Later!

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

<font color=red>My Wife:</font color=red>"Only two minor cosmetic problems: The inside and the outside!"

<hr></blockquote>
    1972 K5 6.5L,465,203/205Doubler,14FF/D60

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I'm glad to hear everyone was okay and no major damage was done to vehicle and/or property. But, we all have to be better at proper wheeling. The Pirate thread shows it as well. While it may seem a minor incident, it is those kind of minor incidents that have us fighting BIG TIME to keep the Texas rivers open. There is legislature on the floor right now to BLOCK ALL ACCESS to Texas rivers. This will just add fuel to their fire and emphasize their point.

Dammit, we all have to be more careful of where we wheel or there won't be ANYWHERE to wheel anymore! Might as well go the mall after that happens! [​IMG]

Brian

16. Stoopalini

Everyone who went on this past wheeling trip did everything the proper way. This incident that happened after I left, sounds like it was due to inexperience alone; and that's why it's important to have experienced people with the non-experienced ones.

I must commend everyone who was on this slab trip for being responsible and treading lightly.

I agree that we need to keep these lands open, and we can help by not causing any more problems; But don't assume that we don't wheel properly because of one inexperienced person getting into a jam. I've never been wheeling with such a friendly, helpfull, carefull, responsible group of people before; and I've been wheeling with all-kinds!

Just to clarify, the pirate thread has nothing to do with our Austin group. We would never mouth off to anyone! Nevermind the person who owns the land (well, except maybe a Sonic manager .... [​IMG] LOL)

I just wanted to clarify and clear up any misgivings that may come from this thread. We in Austin, value our right to wheel very much! and would never go romping around in someone's land, and then yell at them when they questioned us.

That said, the pics look great Charlie! I can't wait to see the other 6 rolls you have!

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --

17. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I'll have some pics posted tonight.. [​IMG]

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com