Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SLACK IN 14ff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stevos67k20, Feb 13, 2006.

1. stevos67k20

stevos67k20 1/2 ton status

hi, i have been searching the threads for something about the slack in my 14ff. me and my dad were underneath my truck replacing my u-joint when i spun the drive shaft back and forth. my dad was really suprised on how much slack was in the rear end. it is definatley notice able when driving but i never thought much about it. I have heard that big gears need more slack like my 10.5in but i think i have TOO much. will i need new gears??? or should i just reset my backlash??? i'm pretty good with my truck so i think can do it my self with your help and with my various manuals. thanks. :confused: :truck::1zhelp:

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

More info please. On my 14FF with 4.10s and a detroit I can move the Dshaft about 1/4 turn and I have my backlash set about .009. I now with a detroit that you get a little extra play do to backlash in the detroit itself. You are actually turning the ring gear itself a small amount before all of the clearances inside the dif are taken up and the load is on the axle. I would check backlash and if it is within tolerances call it good. Pretty sure it is the nature of the beast.

Ira

3. stevos67k20

thank you. i dont think i can turn it as much as you can and i do have a detroit because it was a military surplus axle. yeah i just went out and checked and it had about a 1/4 of an inch too. thanks for the responce. do you have a standard transmission? j/w.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have an auto and mine turns about 1/4 turn not 1/4 inch.
    That is with tires on ground and tcase in Neutral.
    Ira

5. stevos67k20

same here.:laugh:

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Anglefire does not allow remote linking so you have to "right click" and "save target as" to download and view. It talks about internal backlash.

Ira

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

WOW my setup has about 104 thousandths backlash with the 4.10s I have. I new that the locker added some but I had no idea after gears and all was added up that it was that high.:eek1:

Ira

10. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Myself and a couple of my buddies have been wondering about this same thing for a while now. We have military 14ff's and there has always seemed to be an excessive amount of play in the ring/pinion. After beating on our trucks and never having a problem, we seem to think that's just how it is. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts making bad noises.

11. stevos67k20

hey all, thank you very much for your responses and the links. i think i am just gonna do what koldsimer said and drive it till it starts behaving different, i dont think there is anything wrong with it based on you responses... thanks again (much appreciated)

12. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

.104 backlash???! :eek1:

You should have between .006 and .010 backlash. .104 is waaaaaay to much dude. :eek1:

13. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

very good link!!! but i found this to be pretty funny :haha::haha:

"1. 4x2 vehicles. A locker in the rear of a 2WD vehicle will give it amazing climbing ability, in many cases eliminating the need for a 4x4 vehicle. This solution can give even the week-ender enough traction to go almost anywhere;"

14. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to say mines about the same way. About 1/4 of a turn. Has been like this for years under three different truck/blazers behind two autos and a sm465 and hasn't been an issue, other than the "clunk" when I put it in drive. :haha:

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya I know my gears only have about .008:D . But when you add up the slack in the detroit and spline clearance and the back lash according to that article it is around .104 total. Trust me my gears are in spec.:D

Ira

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Ok, that makes sense...I thought you were talkin about actual backlash in the gears...:eek1: :haha: :haha: haa!