Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

slackin starter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Aug 17, 2000.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I bought my 75 3 or 4 weeks ago it had not run in 2 years. When trying to get it to start i had to bang on the starter with a hammer to get it to turn over.Believe it or not after i got the starter turning it fired right up and idled pretty good after a few minutes. It was stored out side and only has 70k miles on it. Is this a sign of a bad starter or could it have been just rusted enough that in needed a little persuadin'. I only started it one other time after bringing it home and it seemed to turn a little slow. Any feed back would be great. Oh, the starter does not appear to be the orignal it has a nice shiny blue finish.
    Thanks!!!!

2. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

on gm's the solenoid sometimes gest stuck in the wrong position and wont hook up. thats why you gotta hit it with a hammer to get it loose. if anything replace the solenoid, but its bound to happen time to time. my neighbor had a brand new 40k+ burb that wouldnt start, went under there with a baby sledge, shoulda seen the look on his face. he had no idea what i was gonna do. fired right up afterwards tho. my .02

3. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Well I doubt if there is rust in it. That's just a sign of a starter going bad. The mechanical agitation usually is required to jar the brushes b/c there probably isn't much left. If you have a manual tranny you can sometimes rock it while starting. Replace the starter trust me b/c if it is worn out banging it won't last long then you'll be stranded. Been there done that plenty of times.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........