Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slambed with spyware

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Storm Trooper, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Ever since I checked out that virtual Bartender post here I got hit with spyware I can't get rid of!!!!
    It keeps redirecting me to worldtracer.biz
    It added a file called aui.exe and program call microsoft internet accelerator. Dam this sucks. I don't know if I will be able to check back here but any help would be appreciated. I have used adaware, spybot and cwsherder but no help. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

type in the filename in a search engine and see what comes up. sometimes there will be a fix out there. thats the way i got rid of those AIM profile viruses that were going around a while back /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Download AdAware and Spy Bot from CNET.COM. Both are free and they remove spyware.

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

he's used both /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Did you update your Spyware stuff before using it? Always update it before using.
    You can also just Go unto your registry find that file and delete it. might also be able to use find or search to find the the file and delete it.
    If you have a firewall add worldtracer.biz to "Blocked urls"

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Spyware is one of the biggest pita's to recover from, especially manually, when the removal progs don't work...

Looking up the exe is the best advice I could give you, but here's some more confusing stuff to try..

All these instructions are assuming you have XP or 2k... I don't really work with anything else, so I've forgotten how to clean most of them out.

I put a script on my web site that you can use, download it here (save file, then double-click it to run it).

The script blocks all the .exe's that I've run across in spyware cleanout, and the exe you just mentioned. umm, I should mention, it also blocks aol (I wrote it for work, where I don't allow aol)... It only runs reliably on XP/2000. It doesn't delete them, just terminates any running and stops them from starting again, and only works when it's running (so if you reboot and don't double click the script again or have it in your startup folder, the bad stuff can start again).
    There's no interface, so once you double click it, nothing will appear to happen. You can see if it's running and kill it by going to task manager and looking for wscript.exe.

Also, to block the website it keeps directing you to, click Start->Run and type "notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts", then hit enter.

When the file's open, make a new line below where it says
    "127.0.0.1 localhost".

On the new line, type:

127.0.0.1 worldtracer.biz

Then, save and exit, reboot.

7. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Here is the hot tip, per todays L.A. times, front page article on spyware "Breaking, Entering Your PC."

You can go to AumHa.org

Apparently it is a forum with users who will help fix your computer from spyware problems.

Good Luck.

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Thanks for the advice guys. I know what files it made and it's a bunch of them. I can stop it from running with no problem and can even pull them out of windows but there also in my config sys, ini and other places. When it first happened, I pulled them based on date and then I couldn't even get on the net. I could do that but then I would need to reload explorer etc. PITA! I'm glad I have 5 computers but I really perfer the laptop in the garage where I can smoke /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif and stair at the trooper /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I will check out some of the stuff you all said and see what I can do. Guess I need to have a spam blocker, spyware blocker, people that piss me off blocker, concrete firewall and full armored gear /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif to check out the net these days! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif. Anyother ideas, send them my way.
    BTW, on the laptop, I'm running windows-ME.
    Later dudes /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Dave

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You might want to try a registry repair tool. They take a lot of that crap out of your registry. There are a few companies out there that let you download a complete trial version of their software.
    I have been using this one with no problems:http://www.regvac.com/regvac.htm