Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sled/Truck Pulls

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Dec 3, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im kinnda surprised I have been around here for a little wild and never heard anything about either of these around here where I like its pretty popular. The truck pulls are just in parkinglots and on country roads be we have places a place to pull a sled. Just wondering if anyone around here does this stuff.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My buddies did it last year while I went to the mud races. I'm thinking of giving it a try this next year. They only have like one or two a year here though....

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

They dont have sled pulls that often around here but some guy still go all out for pulling. BTW if you wanna see some truck with LOTS of power go there some of the guys around here have up to 1100 HP(must be nice) and I think its pretty cool to see them running those expincive motor WIDE open then hit the 250shot(even though im not a fan of NOS) and spin 44's all and try to get the 300FT I have never pulled most of those guy run 1ton or 2½ton

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i do it once a year...i normaly pull in the 165-175 foot range...decent for a no horsepower short blazer

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Back a few years I would take my FJ-40 to the truck pulls, I did pretty good for a 383 FI small block /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif As of late I haven't seen any around here for sometime. But then I mite have missed them.

Eric

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I belong to the Western Mass Truck Pullers Association. We have a 45,000 LBS transfer sled that we pull. Some of the local fairs use a "stone boat" that they keep stacking weight on. It's a fun sport, but just like wheeling, there can be lots-o-carnage (not so much with the stone boat pulls, but definitely with the transfer sled). Usually drivetrain related, and mostly due to too much HP (we don't allow Nitrous) or lack of maintainence.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just go to Daytona. Down there they have Dumbass pulls on the beach. You know you pull some Dumbass's BMW, Tahoe, Explorer, Park avenue, Limo (yes I have seen a Limo floating at Daytona) out of the surf.

8. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

Leadfoot, what exactly are your rules? Around here, a person could find a couple of pulls (transfer sled) every weekend during the summer. Some guys around here are figuring out that the diesels /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif can be made to haul ass without sucking, uh, diesel fuel.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We have 4 classes and different rules.
    The stock class,(now renamed "street legal" class as most trucks are nowhere near stock), which I run, rules are as follows:
    Engine used must have been available in that make/model year.
    6500 weight limit with driver (they are thinking of creating a separate class for diesels as some extra/quad cabs are over this weight stock).
    No NOS!
    Cam2 racing fuel is allowed.
    500 Cubic Inch Limit on engine (this rule is subject to change due to the 8.1 L popularity in newer trucks).
    Dual rear wheel axles can only run one tire per side in the rear.
    No solid lifter cams (hydraulic roller cams are allowed).
    Single Carb rated at no MORE than 750 CFM (double pumpers are allowed), stock EFI setup (you can chip them and put higher flow injectors, but stock plenum, throttle bore, and pump must be used), or non-turbo diesels (there is going to be a separate class for turbo diesels/turbo gas so the turbos don't kick the naturally aspirated butts).
    Tires must be DOT approved and uncut (no limit on size or width).
    Driveshaft loops must be installed w/u-joint blowout shields on the pinion and t-case ends.
    Autos MUST have a tranny blanket.
    Manuals MUST have an SFI approved flywheel and a "scattershield" must be used (scattershield is any device designed to contain an exploding clutch).
    Lift kits are allowed but not recommended
    Rear end can be blocked (to limit suspension travel), but the frontend cannot.
    Driver must wear an approved helmet, full length pants, full length shirt (no t-shirts or muscle shirts), and SEATBELT (seatbelt must function properly and be mounted securely).
    The truck must be equipped with a fire extinquisher.
    Weight may be added to the truck, but it must be secured, and no weight added forward of the front axle (if any object from the truck is dropped/falls off during the pull, you are disqualified).
    Hitch height is limited to 26" high or lower (no "trick" or levered hitches are allowed.
    Hitch must fasten securely to the frame and have a 3" MINIMUM diameter to allow the sled hook to go through.
    If a reciever style hitch is used, the lock pin must be a minimum of 5/8" diameter hardened steel.
    There are more, but this is from memory.

10. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

i pull my wife and friends down the power behind the blazer on there sleds whenever it snows. lots of fun. Is that what you are talking about?

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

nope we talking about a sled that is about 20yards long and transfers the weight to the font and is HEAVY