Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sleeping bag question

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 28, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hope to go backpacking/camping this summer, and camp in the winter next year...just wondering about sleeping bags...
    Most of the ones I have looked at have temperature ratings. If I got one that was good for -30*C weather, would it be too HOT to use in the summer with +30*C weather? Or does it matter? Don't really want to buy 2 sleeping bags, but they aren't THAT expensive.
    Any brands to stay away from? What are the good ones? What are features to look for?
    Thanks!

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you buy a cold weather bag in the summer you can open it up and just bring a blanket with you so yuo do not have to be all the way in it. that way you will stay cooler. For the winter bag a mummy style will keep you the warmest and goose down is the best stuffing to have in them. If you are going to be back packing weight is a issue the smaller overall weight is better to have. Every pound counts when backpacking if you have never backpacked you will find this out very quick. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1this place has great deals on good bags i have bought a lot of stuff from them and have been very happy with it

hopes this helps

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

It all depends on where you're camping Stave, I use a Kelty Jalapeno (+15 deg.) during the summer and it can still get a little chilly. Granted that is at 10K+ altitude, so it's pretty cold at night (35+/-). Don't get sucked in either by the North Face trap and think you have to buy expedition grade bags to go on a few day trip. As long as it is relatively light you can be fine with a Coleman or some other affordable brand. As mentioned, Campmor has a good selection. I would suggest looking online for clearances and specials as they will be greatly reduced if the style has changed. Also try www.sportsmansguide.com they usually have some decent affordable bags.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You can get bag "liners" as well to increase the insulation on a lighter summer bag. Just an interior shell you stick in like a cocoon. Not very heavy if your concerned about adding weight.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah I've been looking at campmor lately. Lots of selection.
    I kind of like the idea of a lighter bag, and getting a liner for colder stuff. But getting a cold bag, and opening it up in the summer isn't too bad either.
    Are most sleeping bags water resistant?
    thanks!!

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

dude that bad sucks,

i have a canadian forces speeping system serpluss brand new too.

it is 3 layers of patended materals, -60* and wholesales for about 1200 cad,

i got it for 250 from a buddy of mine. if i get the gore tex bag to sleep in it is intierly water proof too.

and it cool because the bag is coated to be anti infa red and cemiacl resistant

look to le barons too buddy that go some good ones, my summer bag is a woods, a 0*

i like it because it is flanle in side and canvas out side only 60 or so bucks.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

1200? Thats a lot of money for a sleeping bag! Thats a steal for 250!
    ah I forgot about le barons! I;ll look there tonight.

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Heres a crash course for ya...

3 season use (spring, summer, fall) you need a 15-30F bag. Winter use you need a 0F bag. My suggestion to you is to get a 15F bag, and just wear more clothing if you use it in the winter. The liner is not really a good option backpacking. It's just too bulky. As far as down vs. synthetic...down is lighter and packs up smaller, but it cost more. Sythetic is cheaper and more water resistant. Don't bother with a "waterproof" bag. It will be far from waterproof. Get yourself a tent or a bivy. Also, insulating yourself from the ground is critical, spend the money on a thermarest, the difference is worth it. Hope that helps.

PS I just bought one of these for 3 season use. Very light for the money. http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47856076&parent_category_rn=4500653&vcat=REI_SEARCH

12. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

just to let you know wearing more cloths in a sleeping bag will only make you colder. it is a proven fact because it takes longer to heat the bag up if you have on a bunch of cloths

13. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

That is a common myth. You'll be way ahead sleeping in something. When I first started backpacking I slept in my underwear and was always cold. The past several years I've slept in a pair of long underwear and wear a stocking cap, MUCH WARMER. Hell, I've worn a pair of long underwear, fleece pants, fleece jacket, and down parka in a sleeping bag before when we got caught in some nasty weather, and I stayed toasty. Insultation is insulation, and the closer it is to your body the better.

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

camando is the way to go.

the army bag i have you will be cold in it with stuff on get it off and you will warm up.

good way to warm up your bag is you get a higher temp one it to, get a thick flanle sheat and it you can sew it up a bit to be a liner, it will work great or dont sew it up (your mom might get mad) and just lay it in there!

15. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Well it looks like everyone has a different opinion on the matter, so I'll add this to the fire.:grin: As far as mountaineers are concerned, the common practice is to only remove your shell layer and sleep in your insulating layers. Some use a liner, but it is to control moisture, not add warmth. They are very small and very expensive. As an added bonus it is much quicker to get ready in the morning. As for sewing something into a bag, the problem you are going to run into is the size of the bag. Space is at a premium when you go backpacking. You have to take a coat along anyway, so why not double its uses by sleeping in it and keep the size of the bag down?

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i know what you meen i have hurd people swear it goes eather way.

i ment sewing the flanal sheat in to a bag so it more easely stays in place, not sew the sheat into the bag

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Simply wearing a hat (watchcap or similar) will help keep you warmer at night in the bag.
    Thermarest is the stuff! Camped once in January on the Appalachian Trail, the guys with little or no ground cover froze... with my +30* bag, Thermarest, and thermal underwear, I was fine.

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

my system came with a hood, that you put your arms though and close up, when in the bag the only thing out to the elements is your face aroung the nose and mouth.

works awsome

19. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

No doubt!! When I when moose huntin last, it was 10-15*F in the am and the last thing I wanted to do was crawl out comando style to get gressed, I kept my insulating layer on all the time. I use my outer huntin clothes as a pillow and under my back to keep them warm, always worked well. I used a military bag, not the thick nasty ones, but the down mummy backw ith a goretex shell, man I wish I still had that thing.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

84k5,
    what kind of ground covering should I use under the sleeping bag? (on top of the tent) got a link?
    Thanks for all the info!