Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sleeping Bags?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Dec 2, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Buying one for the wife for christmas, and don't really know what to go with. What I want is a spring, fall, and winter bag since she's already got a summer bag. Prerequisites must include:

Goose Down for easy packability (we backpack some)
    Light weight
    Small pack size
    ability to zip two together if I ever replace my worn out north face bag
    good for these illinois/wisconsin cold nights
    under $250.

Here's what i'm currently looking at...with links and specs.

I edited those links out since i was tired of scrolling sideways. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any other suggestions? Or maybe I should start a poll?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

$250...for a sleeping bag. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif unless you camp in january in north dakota or something... why? me and my gf bought 2 of the same brand/type sleeping bags from fred meyers for $12 each (on sale). You can zip them both together into 1 big bag. never been uncozy or cold in em. $250 sleeping bags reminds me of guys who go to rei and buy $400 backpacks. lol. My $20 military ruck works just fine. I can fill it up and carry it 20 miles or so, which is way further than any civy not on a mountain climbing expedition needs to.

just my opinion. $pendy camping gear is for guys scaling large mountains (20k+ feet)... for the rest of us, cheap stuff is fine.

j

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I'd have to disagree slightly /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

When I've done backpack camping with a few friends I always have my down sleeping bag that is handmade. In the morning all my friends with the cheaper bags hadn't slept for more than an hour cause they froze their butts off /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif When I woke up from my good sleep I actually was sweating cause I was nice and toasty.
    Just something to think about /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. I get cold easy at night, and we
    do some backpacking. Therefore, I want a lightweight bag that will insulate well. Just
    can't do that with your basic Wal Mart special. I currently own a North Face blue
    Kazoo bag that was awesome, but due to me not taking care of it, it is about up for
    replacement after 12 years. And, btw, that 20 miles you did is nice for a day hike...we
    really like to hit 40 or 50 miles in a 4 day weekend, and every ounce lighter is that much
    more enjoyment from the outing. Oh yeah, and my backpack cost me about $200 if you're
    wondering. External frame, had it about 12 years too. I just like buying good stuff once.
    Instead of buying cheap junk that won't do what i want it to. We've been waiting about
    2 years to buy this bag, cause we want to get the good stuff... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. jekbrown

maybe the grunts toughened me up. it was below freezing last time i camped in TSF and i slepted buck naked in my cheap azz bag with no problems, hell I didnt even have my sleeping mat so i was pretty much sleeping on frozen ground with just the bag between me and it. no problems. if it had been really cold I could put a few layers on, no biggie.

j

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Agreed - a good bag is a great idea. But I think there are some bags on the market that might be better than down - if down gets wet, it's insulatiing value is gone. There are some decent synthetics out now that are also lightweight. Don't know if they are in the price range you're looking for.

7. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I picked up a Kelty sleeping bag from Cabela's this summer. I wanted a small, light bag to take on my motorcycle. Cabela's makes good stuff, but their zippers are junk. I've had to return a tent and some luggage due to their zippers falling apart. Kelty Lightyear

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

See there's another thing. We plan to have a cruiser in the next year or two...I'll look at that bag. Thanks!

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    maybe the grunts toughened me up. it was below freezing last time i camped in TSF and i slepted buck naked in my cheap azz bag with no problems, hell I didnt even have my sleeping mat so i was pretty much sleeping on frozen ground with just the bag between me and it. no problems. if it had been really cold I could put a few layers on, no biggie.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I was told in basic training that you're warmer without all those clothes on. I tend to agree--I feel warmer without them.

A regular green military extreme cold weather sleeping bag will make you sweat no matter cold it is.

40-50 miles? So you walk in the morning, take a 4 day break, then walk out? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Why break it over 5 days when you can do it in two long walks?

10. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually I was told in basic training that you're warmer without all those clothes on.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're hot to the point of sweating, this is undoubtably true... if ur freezing ur azz off and not a drop of sweat is coming off your body then its prolly not.

j

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

First, i agree with tim.

Second, quit hyjacking my fawkin post and get on topic here!

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    First, i agree with tim.

Second, quit hyjacking my fawkin post and get on topic here!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol sorry, one vote for military ECWCS sleeping bag. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

what, were you in the fawkin Micheal Jackson navy?

Did you read my above post?

They've got to zip together and be matable...it's a criteria! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

yeah he and his ol lady need to get it on. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok, well if anyone cares, I went with the North Face Snowshoe 0 degree Polarguard Delta bag....just kept thinking about those canoe trips and down and decided to go synthetic. It's only 2 oz more than the campmor i was looking at, and slightly larger for stuff size...I'm hoping she'll be happy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bryan

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah he and his ol lady need to get it on. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my gf isn't as hot as his wife but I'd still share a bag with my gf.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Who needs two?

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well thanks for the props....I think??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

We usually unzip each bag, use one for the bottom, one for the top, and an army blanket for good measure, but we want to do it right this time...Hell we're getting old or sumptin. LOL.

18. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif