Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sleeping in the blazer-truck

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by jakeslim, Feb 27, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I plan on trying to sleep in the k5 with an air mattress. Anyone else sleep in the k5? I think I can make it happen with all my stuff on the roof rack. Not sure how to ventilate though...leave window cracked = mosquitos..so fun

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive slept in the back of my s10. i had a styrofoam eggcrate type pad and it was quite comfotable. the bed was just long enought for me to fit with the tail gate shut. i plan on doing the same in my k10/k20 this summer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I've been "crashing" in the back of my K5 for years! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The first thing I ever did to my truck (the first one) was take the dang useless (to me) back seat out. I'm 6'-1" tall, so one criteria of purchasing a K5 was the six feet from tha back of the seat to the inside of the tailgate. I also took out the spare tire - I'm currently negociating for a new beefed up bumper and spare tire carrier - but that's another thread. I bought a coleman air mattress for about $30 (with battery pump /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif) and it fits perfectly in the back. As far as ventalation - just stay away from the chili ! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yup.............

I have two pieces of foam, each is about 4" thick. Usually just have the back seat folded up, or out and the tailgate down. On one run, it was cold. On the second night, I buttoned up the K5, had the back seat opened up and laid down the front seats and just threw the foam over the back seat. The 8" was enough where the arm rests were no concern.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Not really sure how to ventilate...every time I've passed out back there I've had the top off... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I sleep in the back all the time espically during hunting season. It is comfortable. I added more padding under the carpet and take the back seat out. Lots of room dry and Mobile. All I have to do to "break camp" is crawl out of the bag and turn the ignition.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Aha. I checked your profile and see that you have a 77. Here's what I did to my old '77 so that it was VERY comfortable to sleep in...
    <ul type="square">
    [*]Remove rear seat.
    [*]Stand a 2x6 on edge across the front edge of the rear compartment.
    [*]Stand 2x6's on edge, 2 down the center and one along each wall and fenderwell. Bolt them securely to the floor with large L-brackets.
    [*]For extra storage I also placed another 2x6 across the truck 24 inches behind the front one.
    [*]Lay 1/2-inch plywood over 2x6's. I used two sheets and used the center of the truck for the seam. Notch them to fit around the wheelwells.
    [*]If you installed the extra cross piece, then cut the plywood so that the front 24 inches on each side can be hinged at the rear edge. This lets you lift up those sections of floor from the front seat. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    [*]Screw the rear plywood down to the 2x6's. (Install hinges for the front if you do that part also).
    [*]Install carpet pad and carpet (I also carpeted the sidewalls to match).
    [*]Buy a 3 to 4 inch thick foam pad that fits the back of the truck.
    [*]Here's the neat part about doing this with a '77: If you do all of this, then when you also tilt the passenger seat forward for sleeping, you'll find that a 48 quart Coleman metal cooler will just fit in the space between the seat and the rear area. The top of it will be at just the right height so that you can lay a pillow on top of it and have PLENTY of room to stretch out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm 6'3" and was always very comfortable sleeping in mine, even with a friend. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    [*]I camped in that rig in everything from 20 degrees and 2-feet of snow in the Uintah mountains to 100+ degrees at Lake Powell. But if you want to keep the skeeters at bay you'll need to rig up some screens. Having sliding side windows will make that task much easier.
    [/list]

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i am so ready now /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I am dead serious about the following

I considered either building or buying a casket and bolting it to the back of my flatbed for storage. When I wanted to sleep in the truck, I'd take everything out and put it in the cab and sleep in the coffin. That would be so goddamn cool

I've tried sleeping in the cab, but I usually roll over and get a T case shifter up the arse (ouch)

I'm going to fab a shelf that extends the bench seat to the dahs so I cant fall onto the floor... maybe.

Hmmmm now I'm thinking of the casket thing again....

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Sleeping in the burb I've figured out if you get a piece of skeeter netting and close in the door then roll down the window, no skeeters get in.

11. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sleeping in the burb I've figured out if you get a piece of skeeter netting and close in the door then roll down the window, no skeeters get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats an idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I must be too tired or something because I just had a thought about venting and keeping mosquitoes out. Go to Home Depot, lowes or whoever. Procure some window screening in bulk, cut it larger than your window by an inch. Get some scrap plastic or metal and cut strips about an icnch wide and put on both sides of screening you cut and glue/epoxy etc together, when this is dried you now have a window screen same size as window. Now to mount to truck top perhaps some velcro on window frame and screen frame, or some studs epoxied to the top and holes in screen frame.

I know it sounds funny, I am half asleep right now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I lived in my first K5 (72) for a couple months (Winter time). Pleanty of blankets, slept at a angle with legs over console.

14. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I've slep in the back of mine many times. I just use my blow up thermorest pad and my sleeping bag. Just park on a very flat area and you will be fine. It can sleep 3 w/ a dog if need be.

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The K5 tops with slider windows had an aftermarket screen kit in the 70's-80's for the outoorsmen.

16. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I plan on trying to sleep in the k5 with an air mattress. Anyone else sleep in the k5? I think I can make it happen with all my stuff on the roof rack. Not sure how to ventilate though...leave window cracked = mosquitos..so fun

[/ QUOTE ]hell yea is great /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Could you not get some of the long thin magnets, cut a piece of screen a little bigger than your window, use the magnets to hold the screen to the truck sheetmetal? I have never tried, just came to me while sitting here. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Sounds good to me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Could you not get some of the long thin magnets, cut a piece of screen a little bigger than your window, use the magnets to hold the screen to the truck sheetmetal? I have never tried, just came to me while sitting here. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

great minds must think alike /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Did it for a few years in the K5 for hunting, fit just about right............but the Burb is the shiat for sleeping in. Now it's a tent trailer. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif