Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sleeping in the heat...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 17, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone else find it damn near impossible to sleep in hot weather? If I sweat in the least(unless I'm really tired :wink1: ) I cannot sleep. I am drenched in sweat right now, it is so freaking hot. Summer just doesn't agree with me. Worst thing, I can't possibly put in an air conditioner. My windows are only baout 18" wide and about 10 foot tall, and they are the kind that you crank to open and open to the side. Room air conditioners cost too much. Anyone have tricks for cooling off? Fans only very mildly help.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Do the windows open? You could build a frame with a catch pan for it and set it up in front of the window

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Alcohol. Lots of alcohol.

Seriously though, use a sheet and fans and grin and bear it. Hell, if I can sleep in a tent all damn day in 95 degree weather, you can sleep in a house in a real bed.

And alcohol.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm actually thinking, would it be ok to run one on its side? My windows are really tall. I could build a frame work to set one in a window on its side.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Get a bag of ice. Empty it into a big bowl. Put a fan behind it, so air will blow over the bowl of ice. Put all that on a table or something at the foot of your bed, blowing on your feet. Works great.

That's hwo we used to keep cool in the old days.

Also cold water on your wrists, back of neck and the small of your back help a lot for instant cool down.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh, I CAN sleep in it, but I don't get any kind of restful sleep and am constantly waking up. Its the way I've always been, living with central air over the past few years has just added to it and ruined me :o

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeh heat affects sleeping abilities, but oh well, is way better than winter, i tell you what.....
    winter= total crap, depressing, i dread winters horribly, but i have plans to take care of that before next winter :D i wont be here this time to have to suffer through winter, its gonna be a great winter this time for once :D

good luck

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I love the winter. I walk around in a tshirt and shorts in 40* weather. Heck at school when we started(January) everyone had heavy winter coats, I never brought a coat to school, everyone thought I was insane. I leave my windows open during the winter(well I did before Ruby).

9. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

when i lived in new orleans it was always 100% humidity. i didn't run ac to save some $$. i always took a cool shower right before i hit the sack. run the ceiling fan and under a sheet. it takes a bit getting used to however.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I can't sleep in the heat !!!!! My centreal air is set just under 65.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

as is my A/C at home.

I am about to go take a cold shower, I've done that a few times, it helps for a very short period of time.

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would open the window and put in one of those cheap AC units that You can get for like $125.00 and fill in the rest of the opening with plexi glass, plywood or cardboard. Oh and lots of cold beer and Beaver oil will help with the agony :wink1: :D

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah plexiglass, plywood, and some 2x4s was my thought. Think I may give it a shot if I can get an A/C unit sub $100 in the next few days. Hmm, don't have a saw with me... eh I'll find someone who does.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Check Your local pawn shops and yard sales fro AC units as well.

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hell no!!! He dosent need some broke down,,,two bit leaking like a siv a/c unit boy, :haha: just get a new wall mount deal :thumb:

16. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Open your freezer door.Eventually it'll cool your house down.

17. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You can get a free standing pestal mount A/C unit. Close the door and use it to cool down the bedroom. Plus you can can roll it into different rooms when needed.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Same here..

I'm a wreck from little to no sleep too!...of course my main problem is my mom coughing all night...I've been falling asleep out in my shop a lot recently--now that is not freezing out I stay out there a lot,and often doze off while watching TV--but sleeping sitting up on a caravan bench seat has killed my back!--I usually end up staggering into the house and in my own bed around 3-4 am--get up about 8:30,9 am...funny thing is I feel LESS tired on 4-5 hours of sleep,I now find it hard to sleep 8 entire hours in a row--I used to be able to lie in bed all day--now I actually get a backache and sore if I spend more than 4-5 hours in bed..

The humidity is brutal here today--was yesterday too..ceiling fans help a bit,but my eyes dry up and glue themselves shut if I sleep with a fan blowing on me--I think they make you catch cold too..My bedroom is in the basement,so its much cooler--but still very humid and sticky!..

I saw those "stand alone" Air Conditioners at Pep Boys for about 300 bucks! :eek1: --but for 75 bucks at Target you can buy a 5000 BTU one brand new!..

.I was tempted to pirate an air conditioner in the closet in my dad's room he used to use and carve a hole in my wall in the 4x10 room in my shop and have my own "ice room"(its the "BTU" room in the winter!)..but my mom needs no more expenses--we hardly scrape by on what she gets for SSI as it is... :( -

-I love the heat for the most part--after our 9 feet of snow and 6 months of freezing cold,I can take a month or two of high heat and humidity..I want to get used to it,for someday I hope to live where its hot a lot more than it is up here... :crazy:

19. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

dont put ac on it side wont work. Home dump has em for sale here for nice one under $100. also have floor ones u can move around just have an exaust hose to run out. i like those

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Ya those are nice, my boss uses one to cool down his home office, works pretty good, nice and cool