Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sleeping in your blazer.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyman562, Aug 3, 2004.

1. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

I am looking for some ideas to make sleeping in my blazer during hunting season more comfortable. I have a bad back and can't sleep curled up. Is there anything that attaches to the back. What have you guys done?

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I did this in a little Ford ranger once and could easily be adapted to any truck or suv. In our case, take out the back seat if you have one. Go get an old mattress that will fit in the back and cut the sides so that it drops between the wheel wells. Now you have a comfy area to sleep. As far as the length issue, maybe you could get a custom soft top to go from the top to the tailgate when its open. Sort of a half-triangle type deal?!?

Kris

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Uh, tent and sleeping bag maybe ???

4. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

ZP3R - Can't sleep in tents at most duck hunting wildlife refuges in California.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I used a "full" size inflatable air matress in mine. They fit right between the wheel wells and you can control how firm or soft it is. Nice and comfy! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I sleep in my Blazer all hunting season. Its a lot simpler than pitching a tent.
    I take out my back seat so there is more room. I have a thick pad under the carpet for comfort. I have a couple of old surplus rocket boxes that fill up the foot well behind the front seats to even out the floor. I am 6'4 and sleep real good back there. I usually sleep with the tailgate down unles its raining or snowing.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I removed the arm rests from my backseat, that helps stretching out a little.

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Take out the back seat and lay down a futon matress... fits two perfectly /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

One word: Chalet. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

-- A

10. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

your best bet would be air a airmatress without rear seats.

if its just you you can put your head at the end of the truck and stick your feet up over the console.

11. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have camped in mine for years.....remove the back seat...thick foam pad from Homely depot...cooler behind the passenger seat, noncrushable stuff behind the drivers seat gives you a "footwell" length of extra flat space....I have a smaller cooler that fits against the wheelwell by the spare (also works better if you have a tailgate mounted spare).....I put down an open sleeping bag and use a top cover as appropriate for the season....if you are going to sleep two, you must remove the spare (and be Very well acquainted with your "partner")...I've slept thru storms, rain, wind.....I use a larger style collapsable sun blocker for each door window, and my regular sun blocker for the windshield....my rear side glass and tailgate are dark tinted and very difficult to see in unless you have a light on inside....of course if anyone were to sneak up and peek
    in, the sliding glass windows make an excellent firing port for a Ruger P89 and the old Colt .25 revolver I carry (sounds like a cap pistol, but I like it for very close range).... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

There is a Buttload of room inside these things....

12. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Futon matress is perfect. Rolls up afterwards too.

-Chris

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Take out the back seat and lay down a futon matress... fits two perfectly /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ] HELL YA!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Makes as a good makeshift raft too. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifWe did that and cruised around in lake tahoe with our "raft" as well. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

once I get my cage in and put my spare in the back I was planning on making a couple hook points front and rear for a couple hammocks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. k-5 jimmy fan

k-5 jimmy fan Registered Member

I wish.

I would think with all the K-5's around there would be a good market for a modern remake of the old camper.

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I take out the back seat and put some stuff in the footwell area behind the front seats. This gives over 6' of flat space to sleep in. I've slept in the back of a Sub, too, and there is no problem finding enough room back there.

The armrests on the back seats are a bolt-on deal, so they can be removed easily. For one or two nights a short person might be able to sleep in the back seat.

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

go buy a BURB!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

18. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

All ya gotta do is find a Chalet shell for your existing /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif ... I have an extra, f'rinstance... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

19. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] HELL YA!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Makes as a good makeshift raft too. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifWe did that and cruised around in lake tahoe with our "raft" as well. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you can fit three college guys on there, but thats something I don't like to boast... Have you seen the previews to the upcoming camping movie "Without a paddle"?

Let's just say it was very cold, raining, the camp fire went out. So in order to avoid sickness we had to pile into my Jimmy to stay dry and warm /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I did this last year when camping at pinecrest, it was quite comfortable. I put an air matress on the floor the width of the blazer between the badk of the front seats and the front of the back seat, fit PERFECTLY. I slep there and my cousin slept on the back seat, it lined up perfect with the heel wells so he had a bed the width of the blazer also.
    The top was off but we made a makeshift tent. I have a box in the back, I just opened that to hold the back of the tarp up and for the front I rolled up the front windows and stuck the tarp in the front of the door and in the visors, tons of room and a cofortable sleep! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

We actually planned to do it again this year.