Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sleepless....Am I breaking my truck by not thinking straight? HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Aug 31, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Please help reassure me I am not making a very costly mistake. I have removed my t-case, tranny, clutch, and trying to get the flywheel off. While getting the clutch I had to rotate the fly wheel by hand. I rotated both clockwise and counter clockwise to remove the bolts. Did this ruin anything? timing etc? Next I am trying to remove my flywheel same thing need to rotate it both ways. Bolts are tight so I'd kinda jerk on the socket driver real quick and rapidly in hope of breaking the bolts loose without turning the flywheel. I heard a fairly loud click inside the engine, sounded like it was from the lower half maybe inside the oil pan. Finally after turning my engine one way I heard like a pressure release. Like air seaping out of something. WHAT AM I DOING? Did I just flatten some lobes on my cam, break some rods, and damage some rings. AHHH! This project is becoming a nightmare...HELP!! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

No you're not hurting anything. The air you heard releasing was.... air releasing. By moving the flywheel around you're workijng the crank, working the pistons and all that stuff. I think AutoZone rents a flywheel removal tool. It'll hold the flywheel still will you works the bolts out.

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

did the bolt come loose after the pop ? if so it was just the bolt breakin loose . no you cant hurt anything by turning the motor by hand .

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    No, You good.You might have wanted to remove your spark plugs first(to let the presure escape),but it's okay.A big Craftsman screwdriver works well to put in the teeth of the flywheel.Always a fun job!Mike

5. BowtieBlazer

Nope bolts didnt come loose after the pop. However I did get them loose and looks like someone had red locktite'd them. Is it a general practice to red locktite those particular bolts? Also people say to change the pilot bushing on the crank. That looks like a bigger job than what I am already into. What would be the process of getting to that bushing/bearing....

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

As for the Loctite, you usually use blue. Some idiot made your life miserable with red.

As for the pilot bushing, fill that cavity with grease and drive a dowel in there that is just barely big enough to fit in there and it'll take the old one right out. Drive in a new one and you're good to go.

Use a bushing, not a bearing.

7. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't use a screw driver on the teeth of the flywheel, put a socket on the harmonic balancer nut, then loosen the flywheel, make sure you torx to spec's. Good Luck

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

if you are carfull, you can use a screwdriver on the flywheel, but be carfull. I would always locktite clutch, flywhhel bolts. but nothing in engine should be damaged.

9. BowtieBlazer

Bell housing was missing two bolts...wonder if this lead to premature failure and a vib from not being mounted to the engine all that well..... Thanks for the continuing advice...