Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sleeved Tie Rods

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryan22re, Jun 26, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

What's the consensus on sleeved tie rods? Good idea or not? I ordered a 1.25 x .250 wall tie rod. Dunno if that is big enough for 42's and hydro assist. Was thinking of sleeving with 2 x .375 which I think would be more than enough. Was thinking using a tubing notcher, notch the ends of the sleeve and weld in a C shaped pattern on both sides at each end. Or should I just sell my tie rod and but a 1.5 x .375 wall rod? Oh and it will be a low steer tie rod if that makes a difference. Was also thinking rosette/plug welds along the tie rod, but I dunno, I'm not a fabricator by any means.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Your thinking of sliding the two together. I doubt it will fit. Usually the DOM tubings won't fit together like that. You'll either have to turn down the smaller a few thou or bore the larger.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I have access to a lathe... How bad are the I.D.'s on DOM? Are they that bad? If I did turn it down, would it work ok? Or should I just buy the big boy?

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Basically you'll just have to do a clean up pass. Should be good and round. .005"-.008" should probably do it. I don't see any reason why it won't work. Pretty heavy. Sometimes with all the bigger beefier tie rods you see, I start to wonder at what point the weight of the tie rod compounded by inertia will be too great. Maybe it will never be a problem.

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Why not get some chromo. i beleive 85mudblazin runs a chromo tie rod.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

mine is sleeved (rockstomper)... and yes, its quite heavy. I did put a minor bend in mine when wheelin'... so its not like sleeved stuff is unbendable. The bend hasn't really effected performance or anything.. I guess a thinner one might have been ****ed. ;) At the moment my tierod has decided to hide above/behind the front diff... I think its safe. :thumb:

j

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Same tie rod and that is where mine is going. Funny mine has a slight bend in it too.....

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a sleeved tie rod I bought from Sky Manufacturing. It is a 1.75" OD, with 1" shank tie rod ends. Sky stop making these (I think) because Left Hand thread 1" diameter shank tie rods where getting very hard to find; plus non-sleeved tie rods with a 1.50" OD, and 3/4" diameter shank tie rod ends are plenty strong enough for any application, so why bother with anything larger.

10. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Sleeved here 1 1/2 ovr 1 1/4 both pretty thick cro-mo. hit a rock at about 5 mph and it laughed at it. 3/4 heims at both ends