Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sleeves & greaseables

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RGV72BLAZER, May 28, 2006.

1. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    ...well torched out the rubber spring bushings this weekend from my 52s and 63s...the question i have is this: there seems to be a sleeve stuck/attached to the spring eye of the springs...i removed the rubber bushings and the inner sleeve where the bolt goes in through...now do i need to remove those sleeves that are on the spring eyes to install some ORD greaseable bushings or do those stay in??...i thought i had once remembered reading that those sleeves had to be removed to run greaseable bushings...here are some pics to give anyone a better idea...these were taken of a 63" but the 52s were very similar...any help would be appreciated...

sleeve1.JPG

sleeve2.JPG

sleeve4.JPG

sleeve6.JPG

sleeve8.JPG

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the rubber bushing is 3 parts you only have 2 out so far. yes you need to remove the outer sleave still.

3. RGV72BLAZER

...right on...thanks a lot...just wanted to make sure...didn't want to go through the trouble of taking 'em out and end up needing 'em...

4. RGV72BLAZER

well talked to my buddy today who owns a shop...really good guy...has built some really nice 4WDs...but the thing is he says i need to leave the outer sleeve in the spring eye because there's no way for the grease to get to the outer portion of the bushing...i have a feeling his logic is wrong tho...WHAT IS THE REASON FOR REMOVING THE OUTER SLEEVE TO RUN A GREASEABLE BUSHING?...my answer is beause the outer sleeve will allow less movement, where as in the case of the greaseable bushing contacting the spring eye, the grease keeps both surfaces is lubricated which allows for better spring movement...any help?

5. sweetk30

trust me i have installed 4-6 sets of there bushings and others over the years. remove them. and if you dont beleve us try and install one before you remove it . aint gona fits .

plus in pic #1 you posted that ridge will cut the bushing face off in time. not good.

copyed direct from there site in the bushing tech info : The factory rubber bushing consists of an inner steel sleeve, the rubber and a thin outer steel sleeve. The urethane bushings fit directly against the leaf spring so all 3 components of the factory bushing must be removed.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

sweetk30 is definetly right, that outer sleeve HAS to come out!

7. RGV72BLAZER

ok just wanted to make sure i was on the right track. thanks guys.

just wondering what the LEAST difficult approach to removing the inner sleeves is?

8. sweetk30

the center sleave ? or outer? center is 2 ways big press or drill bits best i have found.

outer if all other stuff is out just cut it in half with halx saw or chisle and or drive it out with chisle and big fat heavy hammer.

saw trick is put blade threw hole and then atach to the handle just incase we arnt on the same page.:wink1:

9. RGV72BLAZER

yea..a buddy of mine was helping me the other day...i tried the drill bit method, but broke a bit...also tried prying the rubber out with pliers & was making decent progress...but then we decided just to torch 'em with a 14 dollar torch...:haha: ...yea i think i'm going to go with the hacksaw method...

firefire.JPG

10. RGV72BLAZER

so just to argue against my buddy what's the logic behind removing the outer sleeve?

11. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

You can not insert the new poly bushing without removing it. Try it first before you cut them out, it just wont fit.

12. Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker 1/2 ton status Vendor

There are hundreds of different sizes of bushings....

You can find one to fit, however, the non rounded surface will eat the bushings, remove them.

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When doing urethane bushings on CARS there are 2 types of bushings you can get, some use the outer sleeve so you must burn all the rubber out but leave the sleeve you still have left and most others you remove the complete bushing as you must here.

Now the greasable bushings you get don't lube the outside of the bushing, only the inner sleeve to urethane portion through a grease fitting located in the center of the bolt.

14. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I don't want to highjack the post, but I just removed the outer metal sleeves this weekend and tried burning one out, and it was a big mess of sticky rubber all over the springs and the smoke made my neighbors leave the house. You won't make any friends doing it that way.

Here's an easier way I found:

Remove the inner sleeve first by finding an old bolt and nut 3/8 - 1/2" and screw the nut onto the bolt and put the bolt in the inner sleeve and hit the bolt with a BFH and it will come out with 3-4 hits.

Then I found a chisel and hammered the chisel through the rubber to cut it. and then it pryed right out with some pliers.

The outer seal came off easiest for a sawzall through the eye to just cut it and pried it out with a big screwdriver like someone else mentioned.

Anyway, whatever works.

15. RGV72BLAZER

well i had burned the bushings out a couple of weeks ago. have no neighbors but i did find out the hard way how much of a mess burned rubber makes. :doah: i'm going to take a sawzall to the outer sleeves.

16. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ah, good I don't feel so dumb. :) The big hammer seemed to work pretty good along with the sawzall. Good luck.

17. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

check out the 52 front spring swap that JEKBrown worte in the tech section. He explains exactly how to remove this sleeve and even has detailed pics. HTH..

18. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I found that a hole saw is the easiest way to get the bushings out. Just drill from each side and you should be able to get the majority of it out. Then just use a sawzall to slice throught the rest of the bushing and outer sleeve and bang the out with a chisel and hammer.

19. RGV72BLAZER

yep i read his article several times, & i'm still reading it, getting ready to set up the 52" springs on my K5. but what i found to be easier after breaking a drill bit, was buying a 12 dollar torch at walmart & burning the bushings out. took like 30 or so minutes to get all 8 out, since i did the 63s as well :eek1: . the sleeves didn't take all that long either using the sawzall :D