Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slider Questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Nov 16, 2002.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, I currently have 140 feet of DOM laying on the garage floor waiting for tomorrow morning where they will have a close encounter of the bender and welder kind/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Anyway, I'm doing rock sliders for my crew cab long bed land yacht. I plan on doing two sperate pieces per side, one for the cab and one for the front portion of the bed. Now, question is, if I solidly mount these to the frame, how much gap should I leave for frame flex so they don't smack the body? Remember, my frame is like 20 feet long so theres a bunch of flexin... Next question, if I mount them to the body, can I weld them to 6x6 plates that bolt to the floor boards with a backing plate on the other side with 4 bolts holding it all together? Or are the floorboards too weak for this task? Will they just start to warp? I would really like to do something like on the 4wheel and off road Ultimate Adventure Super Duty where they ran the sliders up and over the rear tire and tied into the bumper, but all this was attached to the frame and I can't see how this stuff would not rub on the body when the truck got really crossed up.

Like this:

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of my truck when it was stock and flexed out, well, as far as an IFS 1 ton could flex, but anyway...

[​IMG]

As you can see, there is alot of frame flex... So, whats your opinions? I'm currently searching through over 500 posts of rock sliders trying to find these answers in the mean time...

Now the suspension does alot more of the work as you can tell by the body lines, but I'm still worried...

[​IMG]

Oh, and I couldn't go any further up that "ramp" because the rear tire started going up, amazing since the rear of the truck is in a different zip code /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    You are'nt really going to take that long wheelbasr rock crawlin' are you??That beast is loooong!!!Do a search this is covered in great detail.I'm welding mine to the body,after I cut out the factory rockers.Mike

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Agreed... I'm ordering sliders from Butch at 4x4 Iron. Looked at the install and although time consuming it looks pretty easy and it's the cleanest setup I've seen so far. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I have thought about the integrated sliders before, but there not too great for my application. They would leave 30" of bed un-protected as well as being a royal pain to install. On both sides of the truck there is a huge wiring harness that runs through the rocker area and up the pillar between the doors. Anyway, thanks for the info. I've been searching ck5 and pirate4x4 since 7pm last night on this subject...

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Look at my webshots. There a couple of pics on how i mounted my sliders. Different style then what you want, but thinking the same concept.