Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slider Window Question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77blazin, Feb 4, 2004.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Hi,
    I got an interesting question from a fellow member about the sliding windows for our blazers.

1. In what year did the sliding windows was first introduced for the K/5 blazers?

2. Are these sliding windows interchangable with 73-75 full shell tops compared to the half tops of the 76-91 fullsize blazers?

Answers would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Full tops and half tops all have the same window opening dimensions. So yes the sliders and solid windows are all interchangable from 73-91.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go with 1 piece windows! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I wasn't going to say it, but since you did, I agree. I started out with one piecers, went to sliders, and am back to one piece windows.

Simpler, less likely to leak, less likely to have broken parts, and when/if they are broken, cheaper to replace.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I agree. My sliders are a royal pain-in-the-ass...

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Simpler, less likely to leak, less likely to have broken parts, and when/if they are broken, cheaper to replace.

[/ QUOTE ]Plus the one piece windows are cleaner looking, easier to tint, and quieter.

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    less likely to leak

[/ QUOTE ]
    i attest to that one, mine leak when we have a heavy rain.

8. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

This doesn't answer the two questions on the top, lets face it,
    Yeah it leaks
    Yeah it gets stuck and they're easy to break
    But everyone forgot the real reason why nobody wants sliders on their blazers.
    We have thieves and they just love to break a slider compared to a driver window, its most obvious that we leave it open sometimes and thats when they score what stuff we got. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Hope this answers your question about sliders.
    Mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    This doesn't answer the two questions on the top, lets face it,
    Yeah it leaks
    Yeah it gets stuck and they're easy to break
    But everyone forgot the real reason why nobody wants sliders on their blazers.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, doesn't answer the question, just adds comments from people that have been there and done that, and have seen how bad the sliders are in most cases. If the poster is under the impression they are betetr, the comments may help show the downsides that may not have been considered. I certainly didn't think about anything other than looks when I installed mine.

For security, yes, the latches on the sliders SUCK, and have to be one of the worst designed, cheapest parts installed on these trucks.

10. rjfguitar

The thing I hate most about sliders is some of them hiss like a wing window when going down the highway. When you have an interco tire and a loud exhaust...that will drive you nutz!
    [​IMG] they just look so much cleaner to me also. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

I dunno its kinda nice to have an extra set of windows down when you are on a trail. My experience with putting the back window down was bad becasue of all the exhaust that swirls around in the cab. I pulled a pair of split windows out of a 70ies GMC cheyenne. a person here was kind enough to sell me new platic latches(which i promptly misplaced i need to talk to him again). I was going to wait to put them in but someones inbread child shotout one of my solid back windows with a BB gun /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Anyway my blazer is my trail rig so what if it leaks alittle /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif