Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slider windows installation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MilpitasK5, Nov 21, 2002.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I'm getting some slider windows for my K5. What all should I order from LMC? I found a previous post that said I'd need a black or silver center piece. Anyone know what that's called?
    How easy is it to remove and install windows all together?

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

We recently got tinted sliders to replace my solid clear glass. My husband does Novus Auto Glass so he brought home these nifty suction cup thingies and a plastic tool that he used to put the gasket around the window. We were able to reuse my old gasket, no problem. He also used a solution to help the gasket go on, but I'm not sure if it was a mild dishsoap or a weakened glass cleaner. If you'd like, I can ask him the details tonight (but let me know). Also, if it is a homemade tint job do not use an ammonia-based glass cleaner. That is what makes them look purplish over time. There is a special auto glass cleaner that you can get at any auto parts store.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. MilpitasK5

I might just have them tinted again since they'll be on there for good.
    Yes please ask about the details and I really appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

some things are worth it to have pro's do it. if the pro's break them, they have to replace them, too!

just my .02

5. MilpitasK5

Good point! There is a glass place right across the street from my neighborhood. I really don't want any leaks b/c I have some right now...

6. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I recently installed slider windows on my 1975 top. I'm not a pro and you don't have to be to install slider windows. They wanted $75 each to install them with MY rubber seal. I told them to keep dreaming.

You need a new window gasket for each side and the rubber strip that goes in the middle of the gasket. You will find the part int he LMC catalog.

Get yourself a wooden paint stirrer from Lowes or Home depot or Sherwin Williams.

Put the rubber on the truck top first without the rubber strip.

Hold the slider up and slip it in the bottom groove so it will stay up there and start prying the rubber around the aluminum frame with your wooden paint stirrer.

Keep at it till you are all the way around. Then put the black or silver (your choice) strip in the groove and you will be golden.

That's all there is to it. You will at first think the rubber gasket is too big for the window. Before you start saying things your Mama wouldn't be proud of, just keep stretching it into place and it will pop right in there. Same with the slider frame.

I did it with no help and they look great. Saved $150 bucks too.

Good luck......

7. CooknwithGas

By the way Chris, I installed a new windshield the same way, but in the case of glass, you put the rubber gasket on the glass and work it into the truck frame -

There are two reasons you put the slider gasket on the truck first. One - the lip on the truck top is inset and it would be next to impossible to get the window installed without first installing the gasket on the truck. Two - the frame for the slider is not glass and you can get rough with it to make it go into place.

8. MilpitasK5

That sounds easy enough. Thanks for the directions. I'm gonna try it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have a friend that works at a glass shop. He has been there and doing this for over 25 years.. I asked him to come over and put in my new sliders.. It took us 10 minutes to do both. But he put the rubber seal on the window first. Then set them in the top. Then we put the center strip in..

10. MilpitasK5

That sounds easy enough as well... hmmmm.

11. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Yup, Cookn' got it right. I replaced my drivers side slider because it cracked. Its not that hard but it's kind of a pain to work the gasket into place. I did it by myself, 20 mins for one side. I think I used soapy water to make it easier.

12. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Milipitas..
    All you need is "black" rubber moulding that goes around the original slider gasket..
    LMC sells them cheap.. or you can reuse.. I'll send the "lacing" I think it's called along with the windows.
    And the tool LMC sells would make the install alot easier.
    I used a flathead screwdriver with electrical tape on the tip to install mine. it's simple..
    Also use WD40 around the large slider moulding to easily insert the middle gasket "lacing".

13. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah.. and the sliders your getting from me are already deep tinted.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. CooknwithGas

If you have worked in a glass shop for 25 years, go ahead and put the rubber on the slider first. I tried it that way and fought it for an hour.

My top is the double-wall 1975 top and the flange is deeply set in. After putting the rubber gasket on the top, the slider was pretty easy to work into the rubber.

Just don't give up and it will all go into place. (Isn't that the advice for a lot of things?)

Good luck.

15. MilpitasK5

Right on Rocko! Thanks everyone else! I'll give it a whirl when I get all my stuff together. Can't wait to cure my leak and have windows that can open for my passengers! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Joe T

Joe T Registered Member

Where is the best place to purchase sliders? Local glass shop or is there an aftermarket parts house? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. MilpitasK5

Get them on this site! Post a message in the wanted page and keep checking the sale section. I found mine here for $80. There's a truck center down the street from my house and they go for $300!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I have another set of sliders for sale..
    Off a white 89 k5 top.. excellent shape.. just needs new latches.
    And I have a set of plain glass panels for the blazer shell. Untinted and perfect..

Any one interested? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif