Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sliders as air tank??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jun 7, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I just finished making my rock sliders, I made them out of 3x3x3/16 tube. What all do I have to do to make them into air tanks? Or is that not a good thing to do? I will have some pics up this week on my sliders. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

I could be wrong but I dont think there would be enough volume inside that tube to hold very much. I guess it depends on your design though. All it would really take is bung welded at the end of the tube out of the way and a air fitting, and possibly another bung somewhere else out of the way so you can mount a gauge to see how much air you got.

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Make sure they are air tight add an airline connecter and fill them up. If I were you I would plumb both the sliders together to get more volume. You will have to add the air lines first then fill up and check evry weld for leaks. They will have to be perfect!! I think that is the hardest part. [​IMG]

4. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

After you put air fittings and a gauge on them, just fill them to say 100psi and let it sit over night and that will tell you if you have leaks. If you do just fill them up again and follow the seams with a stethascope and weld where needed.

5. 85mudblazin

what is a safe psi that I should fill them up to? I know you said 100psi but I was wondering if you could put more or would that be to risky?

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

most standard air tanks only fill to 125 psi and have a check valve that allows the tanks to purge when they get up to that pressure so that they dont overfill with air.i would incorporate a shutoff valve or check valve that would only let that much air into the system.if im wrong someone correct me.like was said probably would not hold much air depending on the size and design of your sliders.kinda ineffective as sliders also if you bang them on the rocks and might make leaks on the trail.ive heard of people doing it though.

7. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

Yeah I would probably try to incorperate a check valve to limit it to 125 psi. Pesonally I plan on doing a on board air setup and will be running two of those 5 gallon portable air tanks you see at autozone and pep boys to hold the air. I think it would be cool to make the roll cage the air tank BUT with so many seams I would be pulling my hair out trying to seal up all the leaks.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 4x4 tanks that are 66 inches long with 3/16 inch wall hold just a hair under 4 gallons. I hold 140psi in them . It will get 4 35's from 15 PSI up to 22

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you will need some sort of presher shut off if you have a on board compresser, you could hold at least 125-150 safely, depending on your tire size it sould give you enuff air for an e-fill up

10. 85mudblazin

cool thanks I think I am going to go to the parts store and get the parts to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks