Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sliders for a pickup

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by mainiac, Mar 6, 2004.

1. mainiac

mainiac Registered Member

I am getting ready to fab up some sliders for my pickup, but unlike a K5 the fuel tanks are in the way. I have done a search and found a lot of info for the K5 sliders, but not much for a pickup.

I would like to be able to protect the fuel tank too.

Eventually I plan on removing the fuel tanks and going with a fuel cell, but I am looking for a short term solution for now.

Any good ideas or pictures? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

only in my mind. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif short on cash right now /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    i can try to explain what im thinking, but its kinda hard to explain.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what i plan to do is weld them in just like a k5 but instead of bracing to the body support at points along the body just do it infront of the tank. once you get to the tank, run the braces straight up to the cab floor. (there is enough room) cut it off at the seam. do the same for the box, run the straight up to the box floor and try to trianglate them to the body to keep from bending the body in.
    it may seem like the box would just cave in but the way i plan to do it it shouldnt.

i plan on doing this on both of my trucks in the summer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

look at this drawing
    weld the rocker (replacing the stock rocker) even with the gas tank skid.

Andrew

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you have the room, just strap the tank or tanks into the bed

That was you can fab your sliders once and maybe build in storage or air tanks where the gas tanks were, they leave a lot of space, enough that I am considering boatsiding mine

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

First off, let me say that rock sliders, like bumpers, are generally not CoG topics due to the common, obvious, and simple implementations that abound. In fact, somewhere in the early discussions they (and bumpers) were specifically pegged as excluded topics. However, I'm going to leave this one. Rock sliders on a truck do present some challenges and the solutions are not so clear cut.

First, there is the gas tank issue. Frankly, truck gas tanks are in a terrible place to start with. If you’re needing “rock sliders” your probably doing “rock crawling” and that is just about the worst place possible for a tank. I see 3 options.

1) Build the rock sliders to extend just below the tank. Then incorporate a skid plate from the slider to the frame under the tank. None of the factory tank skids are worth considering. Their better than nothing, but definitely not adequate.

2) Graft in a set of tank support cross members from a K5 or Sub and use an appropriate tank. This is a very easy solution and it is what I used in my truggy. Bad part if your keeping a “truck” is that you loose the spare tire mount under there. Just put it somewhere else, and your oversized tires likely don’t fit their anymore anyway. It’s also still vulnerable and needs some form of skid. The K5 skids are also not exactly great, although they are generally better than the trucks. Adding an extra sheet of 1/8” AR plate and some braces should make it adequate.

3) Get a “cell”.

Second, there is the problem caused by frame and body moving separately. This is the main one. It’s going to be very hard to create an effective rock slider in the traditional K5 sense. I’m not even sure what to suggest here. With the tank relocated, you could probably mount it as an outrigger off the frame itself. Maybe with busings to allow it to move up and down. Then mount it to the body with bushing out near the pinch welds. The ties to the body should probably come up under the cage feet. The lower slider mount plate and the cage foot plate would then sandwich the floor providing strength to both. That gets you 2 mounting points under the cab for the in cab cage (if you *need* rock sliders, you probably already have or *need* a real cage IMO). And you can mount a standard 4 point cage in the bed to get some help there. If you don’t have a cage in the bed, a wide plate should work, sort of like a standard role bar floor mount but up side down. This is going to create some body stress, but with both ends mounted to poly bushings (I’m thinking spring bushings) such that the bolts are all parallel with the frame rails it should still allow reasonable body movement as well as letting the frame flex somewhat independently. That’s the best I can come up with right now for a slider that would go from wheel opening to wheel opening…

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I plan to go with a burb or K5 tank like baddog suggested and then just replace the rockers on the cab with sliders. With the saddle bag tanks gone, it won't matter what happens to my rusty/holy bedsides so I won't worry about sliders on the bed. This doesn't really answer your question but is probably the best solution, at least in my case.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Stay home you poser. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. mainiac

Thanks everyone for you input. (except Sandman! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif)

It doesn't sound like there is a good solution to this problem, other then removing the fuel tanks.

Any further ideas are welcome, but it looks like I will be removing the tanks and going that way. If the tanks are gone might as well boat side the cab too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    After Moab EJS of course.

And Sandman. I need the rock sliders so I can run over minivans /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif in the mall parkinglot without scratching my paint.

10. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

the drawing up in my post up top is like what baddog said in #1. But i went with #2

Andrew

11. Sandman

I'm going to cut the top off of that Van this weekend to make a boat. We'll go fishing!

12. mainiac

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good weather for it!

I am really getting in the mood to go play in the rocks!

I was thinking of skipping EJS this year, but with spring in the air I just can't say no. I will go for a few days anyway. Maybe I can find someone to run 21 road while I am there.

13. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have made a couple of sets of sliders for pickups. You have to remove the tank to install them, but then can put it back in its place. The only risk is coming off the slider to the inside and getting on the tank. The January issue of fourwheeler has pics of them on the cover to give you some ideas.

14. mainiac

I will have to look to see if I still have January's fourwheeler.

From what it sounds like they attach to the body. Any ties back into the frame? If so, any bushings for movement? If not, is it strong enough?

15. BadDog

How do your sliders deal with the separation of bed and cab? Are they cab only? The problems of dealing with the 2 piece body are the only reason I left this in CoG (which was admitedly debatable), and I'm still not sure how to do it without causing problems or weakening it to the point of failure...

16. Sandman

I thought this forum was for fab work that you did yourself and could not be easily bought aftermarket.

I do not see a debate at all.

17. BadDog

You are absolutely correct. Are full length rock sliders (that really work) for a pickup readily available? I just found out that Butch seems to make them, but I'm not sure the details. If they are in fact available, rest assured, I will move this to standard tech (aka the 2nd Gen forum).

I may do so anyway. I only left it here to start with because I thought the solutions for dealing with the cab/bed flex would generate some good info... It seems I was wrong. Oh well, on some of these I don't know till I let it run a bit...

[Edit] Maybe this is also a problem with my perception. When I think "rock sliders" I'm thinking of modifications involving rockers replaced with heavy square tube at stock height or raised (boat side). I'm not talking about a piece of tube bolted on (which did surface in this thread).

18. mainiac

Are full length rock sliders (that really work) for a pickup readily available?

That is not the question that was asked.

As previously addressed in this post, functional rock sliders for a pick-up do present some interesting challenges.

I am preparing to "fab" my own sliders, not purchase.
    Anyway, I was hoping to get some input on how other fabricators would, or have, handle these challenges.

BadDog addressed some of the design issues I had in mind, with some ideas, but no "good" solution. I am not sure there is a good solution, but I wanted to check with the people who would know, to make sure to get the best solution possible.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

19. BadDog

I agree with your points. However, the CoG charter specifically excludes discussion on parts readily available "off the shelf". That's why bumpers, bolt on tube rock sliders, etc. are not allowed here. If Tim does provide a similar product, then by my understanding of the rules, this will have to be moved to the general tech board...

20. mainiac

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is also a problem with my perception. When I think "rock sliders" I'm thinking of modifications involving rockers replaced with heavy square tube at stock height or raised (boat side). I'm not talking about a piece of tube bolted on (which did surface in this thread).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree comlpetely. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

However, bolt on sliders may encounter some of the same challenges as seen with the welded solution. (Depending on the design, as mentioned earlier.) Any good ideas where brought up, even in a bolt on design, could be easily addapted to the welded design.

Again, the bolt on solution is not a "good" one. IMO

I am not talking bad about any kind of bolt on slider, they are just not what I want to run on my truck.