Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sliders Help

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Beast388, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

First of all, I have read just about every recent post pertaining to sliders on CK5.

The rockers on my Burb are almost non existant so I am going to cut them out and add some rectangular tube for sliders and some smaller outriggers for side protection.
    [​IMG]

I would like to see pics from all you 67-72 guys who have added sliders. If you have pics with the doors open, that would be helpful. I am trying to decide exactly where to place them. I am not sure if I should make them flush with the floor or flush with the top of the stock rocker.

If I make them flush with the floors, then I will either need to trim the bottom of the doors or make the tube narrow enough to fit just inside of the bottom lip of the door.

If I make them flush with the top of the stocker rocker, then I will need to reconstruct some of that metal that has rusted away.

Another interesting obstacle is that my Burb is a 3 door, so the drivers side slider will be welded to the side of the body.
    [​IMG]

So fellow 67-72'ers....lets see some pics!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

:D :D :D

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I think VTBlazer can give you some pics of his blazer.

This thread has some, just scroll down.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey bro..
    Most of my pictures were on my old website that doesn't exist now..
    I'll snap a few pics for ya in a day or two. :thumb:

Heres a pic of my sliders:
    [​IMG]

I kinda copied Burt4x4.. He build his out of 3x3" .250" wall...
    I built mine out of 3x2" .188" wall.. so i could have an addition 1" of clearance..
    After a few wheeling trips, i found that as i come down hard on the sliders they would tweek up and get twisted.. So I had to weld a couple of tubes from the frame out to the 3x2 slider.. Works good now!
    The first pic you posted, Thats what mine looked like after i cut out my old rocker panel. My floors were rusty also, so i cut out the rust and patched in the rusty sections.. Then The 3x2 buts up against the inner rocker (like that 1st pic).
    You might want to cut a little piece of 3x2 or 3x3 whatever you're gonna use and hold it up against the inner rocker to give you an idea of how its going to fit.
    I'd also suggest tack welding the fender/quarterpanel to the top of that slider otherwise as you hit rocks the body panel can get tweeked and pushed in or out, just like my rear quarter panel in the pic.. A little more trimming and welding made it good again though.

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info so far guys! Today I went out and laid in the snow and took some measurements. It looks like the 3X3 is going to fit the bill. I thought about 3X2, but I want to add some outriggers for side protection and that extra inch will help. Even with 3X3, I will still gain about 1/2" of clearance.

I am going to hack off the remaining rocker panel right at the corner in the metal below the weatherstripping. On the passenger side some of metal is missing, so I will weld in some patches to join the floor to the slider.

The distance from where the floor braces meets the inner rocker to the inside lip of the door bottom is about 3-1/8" so the 3X3 will work well.

I look forward to the pics Ryan! :bow:

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Here is a little design I did up in Solidworks. The slider itself if about 88" long.
    I will add the support brackets that will go to the floor braces and body mounts once I take more measurements. :D

rock slider.jpg

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Those look damn near identical to the ones I made for my burb :thumb:

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Got any good pics of them installed? :D

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

mine aren't rocker replacement, but yeah I do

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I found the pics in your Webshots....nice!! :bow: :bow: :D

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

11. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Ryan I always wondered what happened to weld ins on hard impacts, thanks for answering that.