Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sliders on 72's

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TONYP, Jan 17, 2003.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Sliders on 72\'s

anyone install sliders on there first gen?
    I'm ready to start cutting and was wanting to see pic's of the job, you know that "oh my god I'm going to do what to my truck" feeling. I've seen the jobs on the second gen and if it the same then I good to go....Thanks

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Sliders on 72\'s

I replaced my rusted rockers with 3x3 square steel. In the members rides section I have some pics posted.
    What I did was simply start cutting out the rocker. Started low and then put the 3x3 on a floor jack and raised it up to the rocker. I kept cutting until I got the 3x3 to rest against the rocker box and fit up high enough to replace the space were the rocker was. THere are a couple of vertical supports you will have to cut a upside down L out of to get the 3x3 nice and tight up in there.
    I then held the 3x3 inplace with floor jack(lifting the body with 3x3 just a bit for a super tight fit) then welded the 3x3 to the outer lip of the rocker box.
    So far this has worked just fine...I may add some L brakets to the ends just for added security/strength /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good Luck

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

burt, it looks like you cut right to the bottom of the door without cutting any of the sheet metal on the bottom of the jam...if thats how you did it then it would save you from having to fill the door jam in.....are you doing the 4X4 bumper?

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

By door jam you mean one of the vertical supports? I didn't do any cuting any higher than I needed too the top of the old rocker panel is still there too, rusty but still there. Some day i will get new replacement rockers and just use the top piece to get rid of the rust.
    The rear bumper project is moving but very slow! I have to replace my spring perches on my rear D60 so that is taking priority right now. I do have most of the steel for th eproject just need to fire up the welder and such.....I will be moving in a month or so, so that will slow down the project some more until I get moved /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Check out my pictures, it may give you some idears /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I don't think I"ve seen any yet that were designed like the 2nd gen guys do there's, most all I've seen were replacing the rocker panels. I'm planning on some but it's after a body lift. Don't have the design anymore sorry, I'll have to redo the design when I get my lift done

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I've got the 3x3 tube and just need to get the round tube bent and welded to the 3x3 tube, I'm installing like burt4x4 but adding the round sliders, that way I add a little to the slider and have a step also...I'll take pic's as I go. I had the body guy out this weekend fixing some rust spots in my doors, he cut the rust out and welded in new steel with brass rod, so I'm cutting for the sliders this week... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool!!
    I too have plans down the road to add round tubing to my 3x3s.
    Post up some pics when you get it done!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif