Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sliders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ssped, Aug 19, 2006.

1. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK almost done. I just have to brace them in the middle. I am going to use some thick plate my friend in giving me to use as a brace and a step. These went on pretty easy and the doors still open:D . I almost pulled the doors and am planning on doing that soon. I want to be able to look under the truck when I am out getting stuuuuuppid.

Lt Rocker.JPG

CIMG2968.JPG

CIMG2969.JPG

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  2. ssped

more picture of the build

This was what I spent the afternoon doing durring my vacation. My wife was away so the Boys can PLAY.

CIMG2962.JPG

CIMG2963.JPG

CIMG2966.JPG

CIMG2967.JPG

3. Tim L

Tim L Registered Member

The rockers add a lot of strength to the floor and if you just cut the pinch weld the outer rocker and inner will be flopin independant of each other, my vote is just under unless your going to do alot of reinforcing. Nice job by the way
    Tim

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say cut the rockers. Lots of people here have already done it with no problems and I plan on doing it when I build by sliders but with all the work I have to do who knows when that will be.:(

5. ssped

Sorry Bout the sideways pix. I didnt realise I did that until I went back and looked at it. oops

6. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

Off topic, but what brand welder is that? On my 74 I cut the rocker just below the door line, and cut the spot welds at the botom. A 3" square tube fit perfectly. fully welded bottom and top of tube.

7. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I can't see the pics. Anyone else unable to see the them?

EDIT: Never mind. rebuilt this @%$@ computer and set the some security settings too high.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  8. ssped

its a Century 250. dialed in it Makes my Poor inexperienced arse lay it down like butter.I spent a day practicing on a bunch of scrap and even did the stupid "I can weld my name on a piece of metal" one. picked it up for 800$

9. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

just some advice, but that tube is long and a hard side impact will probably bend it. I would add a small notched tube perpendicular to the square tube in the middle of the round tube to prevent damage. Just my humble advice ;-)

10. ssped

Oh Good thought. I Spent all night laying in bed a few days ago thinking the design out and when I went to build it, it all went out the window. I forgot that. OOps. thanks I will throw that in tomorrow.

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

2 words of advice. Get the rockers has high as you possibly can and reinforce the side tube in several different places. You will bend it if you don't, and you will probably still bend it if you do reinfore it. I have bent mine.

Here is a pick of my sliders. My kicker tube is 1" .120 wall tube. It has bent in several places between the reinforcements.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/122906310/1157520894053352602ZjTDvC

In this pic you can see one of the bends right at the back of the door area.

http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/3189MVC-901F.JPG

The higher your rockers are the better your truck will preform offroad.

Harley

12. balterbuilt

the reason you bent em is probably cause you used 1" tube. THe wall thickness isn't as important as the diameter of the tube. I'm running 1 3/4" chromoly sliders (the ones my company offers) and they don't bend, they flex a little but "bounce" back. If it doesn't give a little it, or something, else will.

13. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Heres mine just for kicks! From Blazen Off road would have made some but got NO tools.Thanx for watching

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I knew they would bend. The friend who helped me make them had a set on his truck that he bent up pretty badly. He only used 3 reinforcers so when we built mine we used 5 hoping that would take care of the problem. It helped alot but the tubes still bend if you slam them hard or you wedge them. I would have used a larger tube size but the 1" fit the budget and the sliders I made are only 1.5" thick. I should have use 1.5" tube with 1" reinforcers but you live an learn.

The kicker tubes are still a great tool to have offroad. It makes it nice to be able to use the kicker as a pivot point. If I had to do it over I would do like I mentioned with 1.5" tube and 5-7 1" reinforcers. I would also try and mount my sliders even higher then they already are.

Harley

15. balterbuilt

budgets suck! The chromoly is nice but pricey. It doens't dent though, and hte spring back keeps it from bending so it's worth it IMO cause you shouldn't have to rebuild them...ever. I also build them in 1 3/4x .250 DOM...BEEF, it's what's for dinner :-D

16. ssped

I will for sure bend mine. they are 1.5 but they dinged up in the tube bender a little. I will trash these and just cut in a heavier wall tube later. I decided to cut the rocker and replace it with the rocker. It will make the whole thing more structurally sound.

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why does everyone mount them to the body (Tdawgs look like most - angle iron to the body) instead of mounting them to the frame?

18. balterbuilt

because the frames on these trucks twist like a spaghetti noodle. They are not rigid enough. Imounted mine on the frame and they still hit the body leaving marks where the side bars came out. the body it rigid. Mine are mounted to the body braceing (bolted) which is the strogest part, unless you want to cut out your rockers and weld them in, then that would be the strongest way. Just do what you gotta do and tell your wife you got it off ebay for 100 bucks :-)

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is there a problem with attaching to the frame and bracing to the body?

20. balterbuilt

this is how i mounted mine, fee lfree to rip off my idea if you don't want to cut your body apart...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]