Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sliders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Mar 5, 2007.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I dont know if this belongs in here or not but I want to announce that im now going to have some rock sliders on the blazer. I went to a d h griffin salvage place near where I used to live, and picked up all the steel I need to make a set of sliders. Grand total (minus welding rods) $20. :D

Its gonna be a while before I get them installed, mainly because the truck and the steel and the welder are 2 hours away. I do have spring break the week after next so I may go back to my brothers house and fab them up an try to mount them. Much needed since I did use my frame as a rock slider last year at devils playground. Pic attached:

-Harrison

DSCN0479.JPG

2. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Rock on buddy, post some pics when your finished!

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sliders are great. Post up when you get them done.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

It may be a while, but I hope to possibly get them done the week after next. It takes a while since me and my brother have to fab them up...and we dont have a torch to cut with.:doah: I think I may angle them out slightly (farther out towards the rear) so it can serve the purpose of pushing the truck away from trees and whatnot. Anyways, ill be sure to post up some pics when I get them finished.:wink1:
    -Harrison

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used an angle grinder to make the cuts on mine. No problem. I also braced them so the frame would not take the abuse.

Thread

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah, we noticed when my brother made his a little while ago that welding them straight to the frame tends to put a lot of stress on the frame (the frame would twist as the truck was jacked up by the slider with a high lift). He ended up welding a piece between the sliders and the bottom of the factory "roll bar" which seemed to clear that up. You can jack the truck up now from the sliders without the frame twisting. We also both want to fab up some sort of crossmember directly between the drivers and passengers side sliders to add even more strength to the frame in that area.
    -Harrison

7. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I will be subscribing to this thread. Sliders are planned for my truck. You gonna make them out of rectangular tube? replace the factory rockers or mounted under them?

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I picked up the steel I liked at dh griffin. I believe its 3" x 4" boxed steel. I dont know the exact specifications and everything on the steel because I picked it up at a wrecking yard, but it is heavy and plenty beefy. 3/8" or thicker. Anyways...my brother used pretty much the same on his truck and his sliders dont budge.

As for the rockers im not exactly sure yet. I didnt really get any time to mess with the steel when I got it, so im gonna have to wait until at least after this week to throw it up beside the blazer and make a choice. Right now I think I may be leaning towards leaving the rockers in since they arent rusted and are in overall good shape. But if it looks like that will eat up too much ground clearance, I may cut them out.

It will be at least next week sometime before I will even have a chance to work on these. When I do, I will take some pics for ya guys on what I did. Ill definitely post up with updates as they come.
    -Harrison

9. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool Beans. I remember the rock at DPG that you did that on. I need to get mine done. Telico did some body work to mine last year.:D

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Dont we all.:doah: We can all say for sure though that me and 4-lo didnt give that rock any mercy.:haha: :haha: At least until the warn hub blew up.:doah:

Whats strange is that my avatar pic was taken all of 3 minutes before I was on that rock. haha
    -Harrison