Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sliding rear windows swap question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Aug 11, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I like the sliding windows on the 90' and want to swap them with the standard ones in my 88'. Has anyone done this? Is it easy? What is the procedure like? I Was thinking it woud be easier to just swap the hole top but Then I would have to re-paint both of them to match. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks..

Jeremy

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

nope, if yur patient, both windows can be swapped out in about 45 minutes. pull the litle sliver metal piece in the seal, and the stips will pull out. use soapy water as a lube and patiently work window out. install is opposite. or go get professionaly done at a glass shop. cheaper than painting unless yur using a rattle can, lol.

3. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Are you ta;lking about the metal piece on the outside or inside of the window? Are the seals reuseable? Will I need anything other than soapy water?

Thanks,

Jeremy

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I swaped out solids on an 81 top to sliders from an 86 to put on my 87 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

They were a direct swap.

On the sliders, you will need to open the window all the way, unscrew the metal strip in the channel securing the window frame together in the middle. Now you can flext the frame a bit and get the sliders out.

install in reverse order

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

there is a small metal clip like where the two ends of the seal meet. pull that out and yull be able to see what to do from there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I swaped one last night, and I'll do the other in a couple of days. Man was that easy... I hope not everyone knows how to do this, you could steal one of these things without even breaking a window. Must be good when you lock your keys in your truck though, no broken windows!!

Thanks for the tips!

jeremy